Video Streaming Engineer
Piepacker is a cloud social gaming platform. We recreate the feeling of playing old school console and arcade games in your living room, but now online and with friends. Our platform adds a new social dynamic to the experience through video chat, snapchat’s style 3D filters and new game modes like battle royale.
At Piepacker, we challenge ourselves daily to build a beautiful, slick platform that is dead simple to use, deliver top notch gaming quality and all around a great social experience. From game-changing user interfaces to the latest in cloud gaming engineering, we use powerful new technologies coupled with world-class design to deliver evolved solutions.
As we scale, we are putting together a team of creative, strategic, and user-driven engineers that share in our belief that social gaming can be fast, fluid, beautiful, and delightful to use.
We are led by an experienced team of ex Facebook, Google, Twitter, Amazon, Docker, EA, and other top tech companies. Piepacker is a YCombinator company and backed by top VC firms.
We’re looking for an engineer to own and lead our efforts to make our streaming platform reliable, adaptive to varying network conditions, and as high quality as possible. A great candidate will be comfortable contributing to both the client and server, will bring knowledge of video codecs and media streaming, and also be happy to learn new things and help improve any part of the system.
What we are looking for
- Experience with FFMPEG, H.264 (x264), HEVC (x265) or VP9 (libvpx).
- Improving video quality and latency in poor network conditions
- Optimizing the client library to improve streaming performance and reduce latency
- Measuring performance and stream quality at a deep level, and using that as a yardstick against which we measure progress
- Coming up with novel solutions to fix tricky corner cases that users experience
- Developing techniques to improve streaming reliability and quality on all platforms, including mobile
- Communicating with users directly to troubleshoot problems and gain a qualitative sense of user happiness with the product
- Unlimited vacations (minimum 5 weeks)
- Monthly wellbeing allowance (mental help, sport, massage, etc.)
- Competitive health insurance plans
- Equal maternity and paternity leave (18 weeks)
- Maternity/Paternity grant of $3k
- Home office allowance
- Fully remote
- Relocation plan for employees willing to relocate near a cluster of employees
- Stock option plan
- Equal pay policy
- Flexible working hours
- Extra benefits depending on the geographical location (tickets restaurant, holiday allowance, etc.)
Piepacker is an equal opportunity employer and we proudly value and promote diversity in our team. We do not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, World of Warcraft faction or disability status.