Data Scientist - Machine Learning
San Francisco /
We believe that the way consumers and businesses interact with their finances will drastically improve in the next few years. Our goal is to build the tools and infrastructure for developers to create this next generation of financial services applications. Today, thousands of companies such as Acorns, Stripe, and Venmo rely on Plaid to integrate with banks and the financial system. Plaid’s infrastructure handles millions of requests per day and thousands of bank integrations. We pride ourselves on maintaining a robust API to support the developers who depend on us and the millions of consumers who use their apps.
Plaid’s data science team is building models that improve how millions of users understand and grow their financial lives. We're looking for data scientists with experience applying state-of-the-art machine learning and modeling techniques -- including natural language processing, anomaly detection, optimization, and time series forecasting -- toward different product areas. We value not only technical know-how, but also creativity, user empathy, and teamwork.
You’ll be a data scientist embedded on the Financial Identity Team (FIT). When an individual applies for a loan, the lender needs to verify that a person’s income, which oftentimes requires a manual review step adding in an extra burdensome step. FIT is working closely with lenders to automate this process by verifying the person's income based on information submitted and their bank transaction information, allowing their income to quickly be verified. As a data scientist on FIT, you’ll be building models that help improve this verification process.
We're guided by our principles including impact, growing together, embracing openness and positivity, inventing tomorrow; we’re looking for leaders who are motivated by those same principles.
What Excites You:
- Making long-term data science roadmap decisions like how machine learning and data science iteration should be done at Plaid
- Utilizing features of billions of transactions to help loan applicants access capital for personal and small-business loans, help fintech developers protect against payments fraud, and help consumers improve the safety and security of their financial accounts.
- Exploring new ways we can better equip users and clients with insights about spending, saving, and investing
- Mentoring other data scientists and establishing a culture of modeling excellence
- Championing a data-first approach toward decision-making across the entire organization
What Excites Us:
- 5+ years of industry experience developing machine learning models from inception to business impact. Proven ability to tailor your solutions to business problems in a cross functional team
- Deep understanding of modern machine learning techniques and their mathematical models, such as classification, clustering, optimization, deep neural network and natural language processing
- Ability to code and iterate independently on top of data infrastructure tools like Python, Spark, Jupyter notebooks, standard ML libraries, etc
- Strong product intuition and excitement to work fast and iteratively
- Data analytics and data engineering experience is a plus
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Economics, or a closely related field
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.