San Francisco, CA
R&D – Product & Design
A clear customer-focus is the key to our success—PlanGrid tackles important problems for construction projects in simple and novel ways. We’re eager to hire our next researcher, who will drive our R&D team to better research questions, stronger customer insights, and an ever-more effective and useful product.
Construction is a complex, modular, and physical industry that shapes the world around us. On any given built-world project there are managers, contractors, laborers, engineers, designers, inspectors, and more who all need to coordinate and collaborate to complete the job at hand. It’s a complex domain and our research team is the translator-guides that ensure our success.
As a researcher at PlanGrid, you help our team ask the right questions, and bring them along in discovering practical, actionable, and insightful answers. This means a blend of discovery, generative research, fast-cycle concept testing, and usability evaluation. You have a passion for field research and want to get down into the (almost-literal) nuts and bolts of how construction works.
Working closely with designers, product managers, and engineers, you’ll advocate for our users’ work and blend their needs with those of a complex enterprise business. The team you’re joining is eager for a strong research partner.
- Embed in a product team to identify and lead projects that inform product and UX strategy
- Evaluate prototypes and live product in iterative development
- Create behavioral models, uncover workflows, define jobs to be done, pain points, and opportunities through field investigation
- Bring qualitative meaning to quantitative insights through partnership with our data team
- Build deep customer understanding across design, product, sales, support and beyond
- 5+ years industry experience
- Degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Sociology, Psychology, Design, or equivalent experience
- Experience running iterative testing embedded in a cross-functional team
- Experience leading research initiatives that inform product & design direction
- Self-motivated, autonomous, adept at navigating ambiguity; you set your schedule and drive it forward
- Research methods: interviews, contextual inquiry, usability testing, card sorting, diary studies, unmoderated studies, remote studies—identify and employ what’s best suited for the project at hand
- Communication skills: fluent use of scenarios and storytelling, frameworks, journey maps, personas
- Visualization: help make user journeys and outcomes visible, tangible and compelling to the team
- Experience managing research operations, e.g. participant scheduling, research lab, processes, incentives, tools
- A passion for teaching others how to do effective user research
- Advocate for experimentation and lean testing
- Experience in service design methods and workshop facilitation
- Located in San Francisco’s Mission District just one block from BART, among local shops, bars, and restaurants
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and dependents
- 401k + Company matching
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- $500 annual wellness reimbursement
- Volunteering on company time + employee donation matching
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Dog-friendly office
- Catered lunches 3x/week
- We provide paid parental leave for both parents
- Construction site tours of the biggest projects in San Francisco using PlanGrid
PlanGrid, an Autodesk company, builds simple, beautiful software construction teams love to use. The company’s mobile-first technology gives general contractors, subs, owners and architects access to information in real-time, enables greater collaboration and provides actionable insights. With PlanGrid, any construction team member can manage and update blueprints, specs, photos, RFIs, field reports, punchlists and other information from any device. PlanGrid is used on more than 1.5 million projects across commercial, heavy civil and other industries in 90+ countries. Headquartered in San Francisco and founded in 2011, PlanGrid was acquired by Autodesk in 2018. Visit us at www.plangrid.com.
PlanGrid is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information
As part of GDPR compliance procedures, we have posted our Recruiting Privacy Notice on our website. Please also note that the advertised position is an opportunity with Autodesk, Inc. (https://www.autodesk.com/), as Autodesk recently acquired PlanGrid. Processing of your personal information as part of the job application process, and as part of Autodesk employment should a candidate be hired, will be handled by Autodesk pursuant to Autodesk’s Candidate Privacy Statement, available at: https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/www/content/careers/autodesk_candidate_privacy_statement.pdf.