Senior User Researcher
San Francisco, CA
R&D – Product & Design
A clear customer-focus is the key to our success—Autodesk Site Construction tackles important problems for construction projects in simple and novel ways. We’re eager to hire our next researcher, who will drive our R&D team to better research questions, stronger customer insights, and an ever-more effective and useful product.
Construction is a complex, modular, and physical industry that shapes the world around us. On any given built-world project there are managers, contractors, laborers, engineers, designers, inspectors, and more who all need to coordinate and collaborate to complete the job at hand. It’s a complex domain and our research team is the translator-guides that ensure our success.
As a researcher at Autodesk Site Construction, you help our team ask the right questions, and bring them along in discovering practical, actionable, and insightful answers. This means a blend of discovery, generative research, fast-cycle concept testing, and usability evaluation. You have a passion for field research and want to get down into the (almost-literal) nuts and bolts of how construction works.
Working closely with designers, product managers, and engineers, you’ll advocate for our users’ work and blend their needs with those of a complex enterprise business. The team you’re joining is eager for a strong research partner.
- Embed in a product team to identify and lead projects that inform product and UX strategy
- Evaluate prototypes and live product in iterative development
- Create behavioral models, uncover workflows, define jobs to be done, pain points, and opportunities through field investigation
- Bring qualitative meaning to quantitative insights through partnership with our data team
- Build deep customer understanding across design, product, sales, support and beyond
- 5+ years industry experience
- Degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Sociology, Psychology, Design, or equivalent experience
- Experience running iterative testing embedded in a cross-functional team
- Experience leading research initiatives that inform product & design direction
- Self-motivated, autonomous, adept at navigating ambiguity; you set your schedule and drive it forward
- Research methods: interviews, contextual inquiry, usability testing, card sorting, diary studies, unmoderated studies, remote studies—identify and employ what’s best suited for the project at hand
- Communication skills: fluent use of scenarios and storytelling, frameworks, journey maps, personas
- Visualization: help make user journeys and outcomes visible, tangible and compelling to the team
- Experience managing research operations, e.g. participant scheduling, research lab, processes, incentives, tools
- A passion for teaching others how to do effective user research
- Advocate for experimentation and lean testing
- Experience in service design methods and workshop facilitation
- Located in San Francisco’s Mission District just one block from BART, among local shops, bars, and restaurants
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and dependents
- 401k + Company matching
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- $500 annual wellness reimbursement
- Volunteering on company time + employee donation matching
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Dog-friendly office
- Catered lunches 3x/week
- We provide paid parental leave for both parents
- Construction site tours of the biggest projects in San Francisco using PlanGrid
PlanGrid, an Autodesk company, builds simple, beautiful software that construction teams love to use. As part of Autodesk Construction Solutions (ACS), whose mission is to seamlessly connect the office, trailer and the field across the entire construction project lifecycle, PlanGrid’s mobile-first solutions empower general contractors, subcontractors, owners and architects to provide fast, accurate information to the field. With unparalleled adoption by field workers, PlanGrid is used on projects as the single source of truth for all construction data — including drawings, photos, and other critical documents. As a result, critical workflows are streamlined, efficiency is improved and field teams can take on more work and get more done. PlanGrid’s software and other Autodesk Construction Solutions products enable a complete data set to move seamlessly through each phase of a building’s lifecycle — from design and preconstruction to construction, turnover, and operations. PlanGrid is used on more 1.5 million construction projects in 100+ countries.
Join us as PlanGrid and ACS advance Autodesk’s leadership in construction.
As part of GDPR compliance procedures, we have posted our Recruiting Privacy Notice on our website. Please also note that the advertised position is an opportunity with Autodesk, Inc. (https://www.autodesk.com/), as Autodesk recently acquired PlanGrid. Processing of your personal information as part of the job application process, and as part of Autodesk employment should a candidate be hired, will be handled by Autodesk pursuant to Autodesk’s Candidate Privacy Statement, available at: https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/www/content/careers/autodesk_candidate_privacy_statement.pdf.