San Francisco, CA
Product & Design
We know that a clear customer-focus is the key to our success. We’re eager to hire our third Research team member, who will continue to drive our R&D team to better research questions, stronger customer insights, and an even more effective and powerful product.
Construction is a complex, modular, and physical industry that shapes the world around us. On any given built-world project, managers, contractors, engineers, designers, inspectors, and more all coordinate and collaborate to complete the job at hand. Our users have deep domain knowledge and ways of working that our team needs to understand.
As a researcher at PlanGrid, you help our team ask the right questions, bring them along in discovering practical, actionable, and insightful answers. For a given project you may be supporting [formerly] paper-based workflows with technology for the first time, or creating entirely new ways of working that were never possible until now.
Working closely with designers, product managers, and engineers, you’ll advocate for our users’ work and blend their needs with those of a complex business.
- Partner with product teams to evaluate prototypes and live product in iterative development
- Identify and lead projects that inform core aspects of product and UX strategy
- Scale research by creating processes, tools, and training that help teams run great studies
- Bring qualitative meaning to quantitative insights through partnership with our data team
- Build deep customer understanding across design, product, sales, support, and beyond
- 3+ years industry experience
- Degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Sociology, Psychology, Design, or equivalent experience
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis
- Experience running iterative testing embedded in a cross-functional team
- Experience leading research initiatives that inform product & design direction
- Self-motivated, autonomous, adept at navigating ambiguity; you set your schedule and drive it forward
- Research methods: interviews, contextual inquiry, usability testing, card sorting, diary studies, unmoderated studies, remote studies—identify and employ what’s best suited for the project at hand
- Communication skills: fluent use of scenarios and storytelling, frameworks, journey maps, personas
- Visualization: help make user journeys and outcomes visible, tangible and compelling to the team
- Experience managing research operations, such as participant scheduling, research lab, processes, incentives, tools
- A passion for teaching others how to do effective user research
- Advocate for experimentation and lean testing
- Experience in service design methods and workshop facilitation
PlanGrid transforms the way buildings get built. We’re shaking up the trillion dollar construction industry by creating the world’s first mobile construction collaboration app—it started with the best way to view blueprints on the job and gets more powerful every day.
PlanGrid replaces the headache of stacks of paper, costly construction rework, and coordination failures with simple tablet, phone, and web solutions. More than 50 million blueprints are stored in our cloud, and our customers publish 340,000 more every week. PlanGrid is used on high-profile projects like SFMOMA, Levis Stadium, and CPMC Hospital on Van Ness.
Construction is a complex, exciting, and deeply nuanced industry. At PlanGrid, we know that a clear customer-focus is the key to our success. We’re eager to hire our second Researcher who will continue to drive our R&D team to better research questions, stronger customer insights, and an even more effective and powerful product.
We’re located in the Mission district in San Francisco (1 block from BART). Our office is wheelchair accessible.
Learn more about us at plangrid.com/about
- Health/dental/vision insurance with zero contributions for you or your dependents
- Construction site tours of the biggest projects in SF using PlanGrid (past tours include: SF General Hospital, etc etc)
- Conference fund to support ongoing learning + development
- Catered lunches 3x/week
- Whatever gear you want (most engineers have a retina MBPs and Apple Thunderbolt displays)
- Free transit pass
- Flexible vacation