San Francisco, CA
About the Role:
PlanGrid is on a mission to build the future faster by creating beautiful software for the trillion construction industry. Construction is one of the oldest industries on the planet, and right now it is stuck in the past. We’re changing that by building tools that automate the mundane tasks around collaboration, planning and version control (think version control for blueprints). Our users are building some of the most amazing construction projects in the world, and our platform is their central information point.
About our Tech Stack:
We are currently re-engineering our Android app to make the code cleaner, faster, more reusable, and more testable. As part of that we will be targeting Android API level 19. We use SqlLite for our database layer as well as several of Square’s libraries such as OkHttp, Retrofit for easier networking. For high speed rendering we use OpenGL and will be considering using native code (C++ via NDK) if and where it makes sense.
You will also be expected to work with other teams, not just Android, and their stack is extremely diverse so you will get exposure to lots of technologies including, but not limited to, iOS, Python, PostgreSQL, Mongo, and .NET.
As an Android Engineer, you will tackle difficult and interesting challenges for Android. Things like:
- Building near real-time collaboration and markup for construction drawings
- Building slick and responsive UI that can handle millions of user generated data points (like photos and annotations)
- Replacing Excel workflows with simple, powerful tools that work great on mobile Android devices (both phones and tablets)
- Have at least 3 years of Android or client side Java experience
- Have the passion and dedication to write highly performant and reliable code
- Love solving tricky problems
- Team player – you love to teach others about cool new tricks you learned and absorb tips and tricks from developers; love solving problems as a team across platforms
PlanGrid solves a major problem for a 7,000 year old industry. Construction data is shackled in legacy, paper blueprints that are clunky, heavy to carry, and result in enormous rework costs totaling $9 billion per year for the industry due to working from outdated plans.
PlanGrid was built by builders, for builders. We’re spearheading the industry’s transformation to the cloud and digitization by arming construction workers with the best productivity tools. Contractors, owners, designers, and architects worldwide maximize PlanGrid to finish their projects on time and under budget. PlanGrid currently stores over 50 million blueprints, making us the largest digital blueprint repository in the world. We emerged from Y Combinator in 2012, and have secured over $62 million in funding from world-renowned organizations and individuals including Sequoia, Founders Fund, GV, 500 Startups, Box, Northgate, Spectrum 28, and Tenaya Capital.
- Located in San Francisco’s Mission District just one block from BART, among local shops, bars, and restaurants
- Flexible vacation
- Dog-friendly office
- Clipper Cards (for public transportation) funded by PlanGrid
- Construction site tours of the biggest projects in San Francisco using PlanGrid
- Volunteer time off: We encourage employees to give back to our local communities. We organize volunteer days and have worked with organizations such as Glide, SF/Marin Food Bank, Muttville, Family Dog Rescue, and Bryant Elementary School (as part of PlanGrid’s commitment with Circle the Schools).
- Catered lunches
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and their dependents
- Office is wheelchair accessible