Machine Learning Engineer
San Francisco, CA
About the Role:
We’re looking for a Machine Learning Engineer to help us transform the construction industry. Our customers are building some of the most amazing construction projects on the planet, and PlanGrid allows them to be radically more efficient.
The Smart Recordset team is at the core of this mission. We’re focused on creating robust, intelligent systems to help our customers unlock the value of their construction data. You’ll work with top-tier colleagues to build flexible solutions that allow our customers to manage this data throughout the lifecycle of their construction projects.
We realize that few people will have experiences that run the gamut of what this role requires day-to-day, so we’re looking for people with a track record of success when working on deeply technical problems. We value diversity and recognize that smart people from a wide range of backgrounds are the key ingredient when building the best products.
PlanGrid is committed to supporting you to do great work, use technologies you like, alongside peers that you respect. You’ll do this on a product that delights users, has made money from the day it launched, and grown steadily ever since. If that sounds like the environment for you, we’d love for you to build and grow with us.
- Be proficient in at least one programming language (Python, Java, C, etc.)
- Have an advanced degree (MS, PhD) in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field
- Have a strong grasp of Computer Science fundamentals (data structures, theory basics, etc.)
- Feel at home using a *nix shell and common system utilities (ssh, grep, xargs, tail, ps, etc.)
- Have prior experience within the field of Data Science or Statistics
Ideally, candidates will also have experience with:
- Advanced image processing/optimization
- Performance analysis across distributed systems
- Application of complex machine learning pipelines at scale
Other things we value:
- A preference for quality over quantity: You understand the math, build the appropriate solution to get the job done, and appreciate a team that holds each other to a high standard.
- Ownership and pride over everything you ship: You'd never call code "released" until you’re confident it provides real value.
- Deep customer empathy: You recognize the value in solving real customer problems and strive to frame the problem using the best conceptual models.
- A love of building elegant, maintainable code: Abstracting and refactoring should be a passion, not a chore.
- Team players: You recognize that the ‘whole is greater than the sum of its parts,’ appreciate collaboration, and do your part to make the larger team win.
- Pragmatism: You consider the many tradeoffs (business, technical, UX, speed, accuracy, complexity) inherent in every decision.
- Located in San Francisco’s Mission District just one block from BART, among local shops, bars, and restaurants
- Flexible vacation
- Dog-friendly office
- Clipper Cards (for public transportation) funded by PlanGrid
- Construction site tours of the biggest projects in San Francisco using PlanGrid
- Volunteer time off: We encourage employees to give back to our local communities. We organize volunteer days and have worked with organizations such as Glide, SF/Marin Food Bank, Muttville, Family Dog Rescue, and Bryant Elementary School (as part of PlanGrid’s commitment with Circle the Schools).
- Catered lunches
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and their dependents
- Office is wheelchair accessible
PlanGrid is the leader in construction productivity software. Used on more than 1 million projects around the world, PlanGrid's value extends over numerous phases of construction, building a massive and accurate history of every jobsite through everyday use that creates a data-rich record set at turnover that is essential to long-term operations.
PlanGrid is the first construction productivity software that allows contractors and owners in commercial, heavy civil, and other industries to collaborate easily from their mobile devices and desktop. PlanGrid is used in more than 70 countries by thousands of customers including DPR, Granite, NVIDIA, Target Corporation, and Tutor Perini. PlanGrid was a member of Y Combinator’s 2012 Winter Class, and has secured over $62 million in funding from Sequoia, Tenaya Capital Founders Fund, GV, 500 Startups, Box, Northgate, and Spectrum 28. For more information, please visit: https://www.plangrid.com/.