San Francisco, CA
About the Role:
Our team is looking for an Infrastructure Engineer who will own our data access layer and the business logic around it. We want someone who is intimately familiar with service architectures, frets about versioning libraries, and is passionate about performance.
Our users build some of the most amazing construction projects in the world, and our apps are used every day in the field.
As an Infrastructure Engineer at PlanGrid, you will:
- Design and implement services which can be leveraged by teams throughout the PlanGrid engineering community
- Review key architectural changes across the organization and participate heavily in the Engineering Change Proposal process
- Assist in re-architecting and implementing critical business logic for performance and scalability
- Lead by example in code and quality, and participate heavily in the code review process
- Work with SRE team to address performance bottlenecks in shared infrastructure and execute large architecture changes
- Build tools and communicate best practices for development and PlanGrid
- Assist in hiring, provide mentorship, and work with an amazing team of engineers
- Communicate changes and technical decisions to other engineers via documentation and tech talks
- Help decide future of APIs, libraries, and services orchestration
Our Infrastructure Engineers:
- Have no fear crossing the boundaries of code and systems. We jump between shipping high-quality production code in Python and working directly with Salt. We embrace automation and take pride in building tools to help engineers be more efficient.
- Solve challenges involving scaling, reliability, high availability, data pipelines, and more. We build and scale applications using Python, Kubernetes, RabbitMQ, Docker, Redis, Postgres, Elastic search, Salt, and more. We change the wheels on the bus while it's running.
- Live for efficiency and redundancy. Our systems reflect our processes reflect our people reflect our systems. We automate as much as possible in the cloud and in the office.
- Hate "snowflakes." Standards, automation, and consistency are the key to smart scaling.
- Love learning and thrive on hard problems. Low hanging fruit is fun, but hard problems are really what keep us going. Persistence and dedication to push through sticky situations are key.
- Are patient, welcoming, considerate, and respectful. Our team is built on these values, and we expect all new members to be the same.
PlanGrid solves a major problem for a 7,000 year old industry. Construction data is shackled in legacy, paper blueprints that are clunky, heavy to carry, and result in enormous rework costs totaling $9 billion per year for the industry due to working from outdated plans.
PlanGrid was built by builders, for builders. We’re spearheading the industry’s transformation to the cloud and digitization by arming construction workers with the best productivity tools. Contractors, owners, designers, and architects worldwide maximize PlanGrid to finish their projects on time and under budget. PlanGrid currently stores over 50 million blueprints, making us the largest digital blueprint repository in the world. We emerged from Y Combinator in 2012, and have secured over $62 million in funding from world-renowned organizations and individuals including Sequoia, Founders Fund, GV, 500 Startups, Box, Northgate, Spectrum 28, and Tenaya Capital.
- Located in San Francisco’s Mission District just one block from BART, among local shops, bars, and restaurants
- Flexible vacation
- Dog-friendly office
- Clipper Cards (for public transportation) funded by PlanGrid
- Construction site tours of the biggest projects in San Francisco using PlanGrid
- Volunteer time off: We encourage employees to give back to our local communities. We organize volunteer days and have worked with organizations such as Glide, SF/Marin Food Bank, Muttville, Family Dog Rescue, and Bryant Elementary School (as part of PlanGrid’s commitment with Circle the Schools).
- Catered lunches
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and their dependents
- Office is wheelchair accessible