San Francisco, CA
About the Role:
Our users build some of the most amazing construction projects in the world, and our apps are used every day in the field. If you love working on software that is quite literally building the physical world around you, let’s talk.
Our team is looking for a backend engineer who is ready to own our data access layer and the business logic around it. We want someone who is intimately familiar with service architectures, frets about versioning libraries, and is passionate about performance.
As a systems engineer at PlanGrid you will:
- Design and implement services which can be leveraged by teams throughout the PlanGrid engineering community
- Review key architectural changes across the organization and participate heavily in Engineering Change Proposal process
- Lead by example in code and quality and participate heavily in the code review process
- Work with SRE team to address performance bottlenecks in shared infrastructure and execute large architecture changesInstrument and plan migration to Python 3
- Assist in hiring, provide mentorship and work with an amazing team of engineers
- Communicate changes and technical decisions to other engineers via documentation and tech talks
In the first 6 months you will:
- Optimize Postgres queries for large scaleImplement a full text search solution
- Assist in re-architecting and implement critical business logic for performance
- Rollout lightweight asynchronous processing tools
- Reassess shared libraries and their rollout
- Help decide future of APIs and services orchestration
- Migrate critical data from Mongo to Postgres
PlanGrid solves a major problem for a 7,000 year old industry. Construction data is shackled in legacy, paper blueprints that are clunky, heavy to carry, and result in enormous rework costs totaling $9 billion per year for the industry due to working from outdated plans.
PlanGrid was built by builders, for builders. We’re spearheading the industry’s transformation to the cloud and digitization by arming construction workers with the best productivity tools. Contractors, owners, designers, and architects worldwide maximize PlanGrid to finish their projects on time and under budget. PlanGrid currently stores over 50 million blueprints, making us the largest digital blueprint repository in the world. We emerged from Y Combinator in 2012, and have secured over $62 million in funding from world-renowned organizations and individuals including Sequoia, Founders Fund, GV, 500 Startups, Box, Northgate, Spectrum 28, and Tenaya Capital.
- Located in San Francisco’s Mission District just one block from BART, among local shops, bars, and restaurants
- Flexible vacation
- Dog-friendly office
- Clipper Cards (for public transportation) funded by PlanGrid
- Construction site tours of the biggest projects in San Francisco using PlanGrid
- Volunteer time off: We encourage employees to give back to our local communities. We organize volunteer days and have worked with organizations such as Glide, SF/Marin Food Bank, Muttville, Family Dog Rescue, and Bryant Elementary School (as part of PlanGrid’s commitment with Circle the Schools).
- Catered lunches
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and their dependents
- Office is wheelchair accessible