Director of Labor Relations
Greater San Diego, CA
Human Resources & Security – HR Operations /
Full Time, 40 hrs, 5 days
Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest is one of the largest providers of sexual and reproductive healthcare in Southern California, operating 20 health centers throughout our three-county region. Check out our new video, "We are Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest” for more information about our organization: https://bit.ly/WeArePPPSW.
Care. No Matter What.
As the Director of Labor Relations, you will proactively manage, interact with, advise on best practices, and support leadership across all departments and geographic regions. You'll partner closely with HR Partners and Regional Leadership as a subject matter expert on a broad range of labor relations matters, including overseeing workplace investigations and grievances, leading contract negotiations, organizing union campaigns, planning for, negotiating, and implementing collective bargaining agreements, and partnering with our internal legal and HR teams on mediation and arbitration matters.
This position reports to the Vice President of Human Resources.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of labor relations principles and practices, federal (NLRA) and state (California Labor Law) labor laws, experience with collective bargaining agreements, experience as the 1st or 2nd chair in CBA negotiations, and experience managing labor relations in a healthcare setting.
If you are driven by our mission and committed to quality healthcare for the communities of Riverside, San Diego, El Centro County, and beyond, apply now!
What We're Looking For:
- 3+ years Experience in Human Resources Management or with supervision
- 5+ years Collective Bargaining Agreement strategy experience
- Previous experience as 1st of 2nd chair experience in CBA negotiation
- 5+ years Experience in conducting or documenting workplace investigations
- Experience in managing labor relations in a healthcare setting
- Knowledge of labor relations principles and practices
- Strong knowledge of labor laws including Federal (NLRA) and State (California Labor laws)
- Strong relationship building/interpersonal skills with the ability to maintain positive and effective working relationships with union officials, employees and management.
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple departments with positive outcomes
- Ability to maintain high standards of confidentiality and practice ethical communication
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Able to travel within the PPPSW regions (Riverside County, San Diego County and Imperial Valley) as needed
In This Role, You'll Get To:
- Serves as main point of contact for all issues related to and /or involving the union.
- Responsible for building and sustaining positive relationships with the union, bargaining units and across all departments
- In partnership with in-house and external legal counsel, serves as a subject matter expert on contract negotiations and bargaining strategy
- Assists with contract negotiations by collecting, analyzing and assembling data, preparing proposals, and analyzing and responding to union proposals
- Directs activities designed to effectively administer the collective bargaining agreement and maintain positive employee and labor relations through consistent application of PPPSW's values, policies and practices
- Coordinates and attends labor relations meetings along with meetings, as well as meetings with union officials, legal counsel, employees, and management to build effective relationships
- Facilitates the resolution of labor disputes and represents the company in grievances and partners with Legal and HR on arbitration or other legal proceedings as necessary
- Conducts or oversees investigation of employee issues and creates and ensures appropriate documentation
- Develops and provides training to management about leading in a union environment and education and compliance with the collective bargaining agreement
- Tracks, analyzes and summarizes relevant internal and external labor relations data and trends for PPPSW management
- Maintains accurate files and records, including confidential materials.
- Contributes to and helps maintain the HR Intranet and SharePoint sites related to labor relations content
- Ensures compliance with all applicable labor laws, regulations, and standards, including National Labor Relations Act (NLRA).
- Experience in collaborative union negotiations
- SEIU (Service Employees International Union) Experience
- Certified in Workforce Investigations
$153,433 - $180,000 a year
At Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest (PPPSW) the philosophy behind our compensation efforts is to foster workplace equity by aligning pay and benefit structures with our Agency’s mission and values. These efforts are continuously evaluated as we work toward living out our social justice values as an employer. PPPSW recognizes that decisions about pay and benefits have significant impact on staff, and we work diligently to ensure all positions are compensated competitively as compared to other similar positions in the community. The Affiliate establishes compensation supported by a position description that identifies competencies, duties, responsibilities and qualifications. In alignment with the Agency culture, PPPSW will strive to communicate openly and transparently about the goals of the Agency and the design of the compensation policies. The Agency will ensure the compensation program is administered in a manner that is consistent with Agency’s value of pay equity.
Benefits Include: Medical, Dental, Vision, 401 Matching Program, Educational Assistance, Access to 1:1 Mental Fitness/Life coach, Premium CALM account and more!
Job Type: Full-time, Full Benefits
Location: San Diego, Riverside, El Centro/Imperial Valley
We are the power of Planned Parenthood.
We are Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest, one of the largest and most prominent affiliates of the most iconic health care organization in the world. We are recognized for the wide array of services we provide and the outstanding education we deliver.
We are a prominent and powerful team of health experts who work relentlessly to help our communities sustain their health and well-being. We adhere to the highest standards and protocols as we collaborate and care for people, without judgment.
100 years of advocating for our mission has secured our advancement, our future and our passion for practicing health care.
We are a team you can have fun with and a powerful movement you can be part of. Together we’ll take pride in shaping the future of sexual health and reproductive rights.
For those who feel that purpose is critical to their work, this is a gift.
In This Together.
Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please visit our careers page for more information: www.pppswcareers.org