San Diego, CA
Medical Services & Center Operations – Center Operations
Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest has been voted one of the best places to work. We are one of the largest providers of reproductive healthcare in Southern California, operating 18 health centers throughout our three county region. Check out our new video, "We are Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest” for more information about our organization: https://youtu.be/2ATarFSN3TQ.
Care. No Matter What.
Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest have a unique career opportunity in Health Care Administration for a Patient Navigator in San Diego, CA.
As a Patient Navigator you will provide a variety of health education, outreach, follow up, clerical, and social support services to our patients and the community. Work closely with our staff as a resource and help guide patients through referrals to other healthcare providers and related social and financial services to enable them to access services that improve their health status and quality of life.
This is a full-time benefit eligible position located in Mission Valley, Monday-Friday from 9:00am -5:30pm with occasional weekends and evening flexibility requirements.
Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, public health, sexuality, education or related field, or equivalent training and experience
- 1+ years experience working in a healthcare or non-profit setting - relevant experience may apply
- Must be willing to travel to health centers in San Diego, Imperial and Riverside Counties as necessary
- Willing to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends as needed
- Excellent customer service skills and commitment to providing the highest level of external and internal customer satisfaction.
- Respectful and nonjudgmental treatment of all regardless of age, race, class, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, ethnicity or ability
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Bilingual Spanish/English strongly preferred
- Experience working with a diverse population as a case manager, referral coordinator, or similar position in a healthcare or nonprofit setting
- Knowledge of local community and its resources, with a special focus on HIV prevention and treatment, support for LGBTQ people, mental health, and substance abuse treatment
- Experience with EHR systems
Essential Functions: Patient Advocate/Community and Staff Resource
- Provide patient notification and follow-up care as established by policies and protocols in a non-judgmental and non-biased manner.
- Maintain communication between patients, providers, Care Team, and community organizations
- Act as an advocate on behalf of the patient to ensure access to related services
- Identify barriers to patients accessing services and seek to address them.
- Take requests/referrals from health centers and submit to Community Information Exchange and monitor for follow-up
- Consent patients prior to submitting to Community Information Exchange
- Connect patients to Medi-Cal enrollment resources and provide direct support for Medi-Cal enrollment
- Track and document all referrals in logs and in the EHR system
- Maintain linkages with local community resources and organizations that can provide care or services not provided at PPPSW to our patients
- Understand and maximize patient assistance programs and funding sources and assist patients in enrolling in these programs
- Develop a network with other patient navigators, referral coordinators and case managers in the healthcare and social service field
- In collaboration with CGR, conduct outreach to communities that could benefit from our services
- Provide a main point of contact with outside community agencies, pharmacies, and vendors
- Attend and participate in Care Team, Affiliate-wide, consortium and coalition meetings as needed
- Act as point of contact for referrals to PPPSW from external agencies, clinics, hospitals and community organizations
- Educate staff on relevant social issues and community services within their region
- Keep updated in the field and attend trainings as necessary
Loc=San Diego Admin
We are the power of Planned Parenthood.
We are Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest, one of the largest and most prominent affiliates of the most iconic health care organization in the world. We are recognized for the wide array of services we provide and the outstanding education we deliver.
We are a prominent and powerful team of health experts who work relentlessly to help our communities sustain their health and well-being. We adhere to the highest standards and protocols as we collaborate and care for people, without judgment.
100 years of advocating for our mission has secured our advancement, our future and our passion for practicing health care.
We are a team you can have fun with and a powerful movement you can be part of. Together we’ll take pride in shaping the future of sexual health and reproductive rights.
For those who feel that purpose is critical to their work, this is a gift.
In This Together.
Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please visit our careers page for more information: www.pppswcareers.org