Patient Access Specialist Flex - Vista, CA (All Saturdays Required)
Medical Services & Center Operations – Clinical/Medical /
Full Time, 32 hrs, 4 days /
Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest is one of the largest providers of sexual and reproductive healthcare in Southern California, operating 20 health centers throughout our three-county region. Check out our new video, "We are Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest” for more information about our organization: https://bit.ly/WeArePPPSW.
Care. No Matter What.
We are seeking a Patient Access Specialist for our Health Center in Vista, CA.
The Patient Access Specialist (PAS) is responsible for all aspects of scheduling and registering patients. The PAS will prepare, scan and coordinate paperwork, verify payer source and patient financial responsibility prior to services, enter charges, clear claim edits, submit claims, collect fees/receipts and donations, verify patient identity, schedule patient appointments at same and other health centers, and answer phones.
Please note: this position will be scheduled to work every Saturday.
The hiring rate for this position is: $20.33-$20.83 hourly
*Flex positions will receive an additional differential rate and mileage reimbursement.
- High School diploma equivalent.
- Two years of customer service experience
- One year of admitting/registration experience
- One year of PPPSW healthcare experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Equivalent healthcare experience.
- Responsible for the accuracy of patient and insurance information entered into the Agency’s Practice Management system.
- Research issues involving patient demographics and insurance eligibility.
- Verify insurance eligibility, benefits, and patient share of cost for certain office visits and procedures with 3rd party and governmental payers upon scheduling of patients.
- Obtain pre-authorization as required by 3rd party insurance and governmental payers.
- Negotiate payment plans for patients who cannot afford payment in full using agency established parameters.
- Perform financial counseling with patients to ensure they are aware of their insurance coverage and financial responsibility.
- Serve as a patient advocate ensuring they are aware and take advantage of all governmental programs such as Medi-Cal, PE, Family PACT, etc. as well as sliding fee discounts based on family size and income.
- Schedule appropriate family planning and surgical appointments.
- Register patients; compile complete and accurate information for Health Center records and timely reimbursement.
- Reconcile billing at the end of patient visit.
- Respond to Billing Department, Patient Access, and Call Center inquiries, and respond effectively to questions and concerns expressed by patients and other staff.
- Manage in-person medical record release request and scanning processes.
- Ensure appointments conform to established authorizations.
- Accurately prepare end-of-day reports for Health Center Manager review.
- Resolve problems (registration, eligibility, billing or financial) in a timely manner.
- Accept and process payment transactions according to established guidelines.
- Appropriately refer patients to correct agencies or offices for service(s).
- Appropriately schedule surgery and procedures in a timely manner according to patient and physician schedule.
$20.33 - $20.83 an hour
PPPSW Compensation Philosophy and Position Hiring Rate:
At Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest (PPPSW) the philosophy behind our compensation efforts is to foster workplace equity by aligning pay and benefit structures with our Agency’s mission and values. These efforts are continuously evaluated as we work toward living out our social justice values as an employer. PPPSW recognizes that decisions about pay and benefits have a significant impact on staff, and we work diligently to ensure all positions are compensated competitively as compared to other similar positions in the community.
The Affiliate establishes compensation supported by a position description that identifies competencies, duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. In alignment with the Agency culture, PPPSW will strive to communicate openly and transparently about the goals of the Agency and the design of the compensation policies. The Agency will ensure the compensation program is administered in a manner that is consistent with the Agency’s value of pay equity.
We are the power of Planned Parenthood.
We are Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest, one of the largest and most prominent affiliates of the most iconic health care organization in the world. We are recognized for the wide array of services we provide and the outstanding education we deliver.
We are a prominent and powerful team of health experts who work relentlessly to help our communities sustain their health and well-being. We adhere to the highest standards and protocols as we collaborate and care for people, without judgment.
100 years of advocating for our mission has secured our advancement, our future and our passion for practicing health care.
We are a team you can have fun with and a powerful movement you can be part of. Together we’ll take pride in shaping the future of sexual health and reproductive rights.
For those who feel that purpose is critical to their work, this is a gift.
In This Together.
Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please visit our careers page for more information: www.pppswcareers.org