Medical Assistant (Flex) - San Diego, CA *All Saturdays required
Greater San Diego, CA
Medical Services & Center Operations – Clinical/Medical /
Full Time or Part Time /
Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest is one of the largest providers of sexual and reproductive healthcare in Southern California, operating 20 health centers throughout our three-county region. Check out our new video, "We are Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest” for more information about our organization: https://bit.ly/WeArePPPSW.
Care. No Matter What.
We are seeking Medical Assistants for our Health Centers in San Diego County, CA.
The Medical Assistant is responsible for supporting the delivery of reproductive health care services under the medical supervision of Clinician and/or Physician. They assist clients by providing testing, screening, and education required for the provision of medical reproductive health care. The MA also assists providers to ensure high quality, efficient delivery of care. Ability to screen clients, prepare exam rooms and cover the front office when necessary. Must provide excellent customer services in a non-judgmental, empathetic manner to clients.
*Flex positions will receive an additional differential rate and mileage reimbursement.
- High School diploma equivalent.
- Graduate of an accredited medical assistant program or Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) program
- 2 years comparable clinical back office medical assistant, Long-Term Care/Care Partners, Medication Technicians experience.
- 2 years experience as a health educator, STD and/or HIV prevention counselor, community/public health worker or family planning educator. Experience in Women's Healthcare preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Adhere to affiliate goals and policies on professionalism, wait time in-clinic and on the system for addressing client complaints.
- Participate in health center efforts to achieve established goals for productivity and quality metrics.
- Participate in health center/affiliate efforts to achieve established revenue cycle goals.
- Perform and/or coordinate the following back-office functions:
- Obtain medical history, interview and educate clients ensuring informed consent
- Perform options and abortion education; make appointments/referrals for follow-up medical services.
- Perform basic lab work (e.g. Hgb, pregnancy test, urine dipsticks, venipuncture, injections) package specimens for outside lab tests, record lab results.
- Obtain vital signs (blood pressure, height, weight, etc.).
- Clean and sterilize equipment and stock lab and exam rooms.
- Assist Clinicians as needed.
- Gather information regarding sensitive subjects such as rape, STIs, risks of sexual activity for early teens, and abortions.
- Monitor center flow and client wait time.
- Input and update computer client data information. Responsible for the accuracy of client information entered into the Agency’s Practice Management system and Electronic medical Record system.
- Ensure ongoing communication with Patient Flow Coordinator, Center Manager, and other center staff.
- Perform and/or coordinate the following front-office functions:
- Greet clients, answer phones, refer calls, and make appointments.
- Assess client finances, which may include verifying insurance, health plan authorization, Medi-Cal cards with picture ID, collect fees and donations per Agency guidelines, complete appropriate forms and obtain signatures per Agency policy review and reconcile billing on a daily basis.
- Input and update computer client data information.
- Schedule appointments for family planning including but not limited to contraceptives and abortion services.
- Provide Abortion referral and education.
- Provide sterilization education and education.
- Assist and support the clinical staff in the provision of:
- Contraceptive services.
- Medication abortion services including vaginal ultrasound.
- Colposcopy services.
- Comply with all safety policies and procedures including infection control.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements (e.g. annual TB testing, biannual review of emergency policies, procedures and drills, annual OSHA training review, etc.) per Agency policy and regulatory mandates.
- Attend trainings, staff meetings and in-services to maintain and increase knowledge of protocols and procedures.
- Ensure client satisfaction.
- Prepare center for opening and secure for closing, as required.
- Ensure successful completion of required unit.
- In support of PPPSW’s Just Culture Philosophy, identify and report errors, near misses, and employee, patient and customer safety concerns in a timely manner.
- To support risk and quality management by proactively communicating identified risks to supervisor in order to minimize risk when possible.
- Comply with PPPSWs Code of Conduct and maintain the highest level of professional and ethical standards and to act in compliance with both the letter and spirit of all applicable laws and regulations.
$20.60 - $21.10 an hour
PPPSW Compensation Philosophy and Position Hiring Rate:
At Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest (PPPSW) the philosophy behind our compensation efforts is to foster workplace equity by aligning pay and benefit structures with our Agency’s mission and values. These efforts are continuously evaluated as we work toward living out our social justice values as an employer. PPPSW recognizes that decisions about pay and benefits have significant impact on staff, and we work diligently to ensure all positions are compensated competitively as compared to other similar positions in the community.
The Affiliate establishes compensation supported by a position description that identifies competencies, duties, responsibilities and qualifications. In alignment with the Agency culture, PPPSW will strive to communicate openly and transparently about the goals of the Agency and the design of the compensation policies. The Agency will ensure the compensation program is administered in a manner that is consistent with Agency’s value of pay equity.
We are the power of Planned Parenthood.
We are Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest, one of the largest and most prominent affiliates of the most iconic health care organization in the world. We are recognized for the wide array of services we provide and the outstanding education we deliver.
We are a prominent and powerful team of health experts who work relentlessly to help our communities sustain their health and well-being. We adhere to the highest standards and protocols as we collaborate and care for people, without judgment.
100 years of advocating for our mission has secured our advancement, our future and our passion for practicing health care.
We are a team you can have fun with and a powerful movement you can be part of. Together we’ll take pride in shaping the future of sexual health and reproductive rights.
For those who feel that purpose is critical to their work, this is a gift.
In This Together.
Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please visit our careers page for more information: www.pppswcareers.org