Associate Compliance Officer/HIPAA Privacy Officer
San Diego, CA
Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest has been voted one of the best places to work. We are one of the largest providers of reproductive healthcare in Southern California, operating 17 health centers throughout our three county region. Check out our new video, "We are Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest” for more information about our organization: https://youtu.be/2ATarFSN3TQ.
Care. No Matter What.
Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest is seeking an Associate Compliance Officer/HIPAA Privacy Officer in San Diego, CA.
The Associate Compliance Officer/HIPAA Privacy Officer will develop, monitor and provide operational oversight of the Agency’s Corporate Compliance Program. They will ensure compliance with applicable legal and regulatory requirements and act as the Agency’s HIPAA Privacy Officer.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- CHC (Certified in Healthcare Compliance) certified, or willing to obtain certification within 6 months of hire.
- CHPC (Certified in Healthcare Privacy Compliance) certified, or willing to obtain certification within 6 months of hire.
- 5 years of healthcare compliance program management experience including 2-3 years managing a patient privacy program.
- FPACT coding audit experience preferred.
- Develop, monitor, and provide operational oversight of the Agency’s Corporate Compliance Program based on adherence to the seven elements of a compliance program and to include the following:
- Develop and maintain compliance policies and procedures and create annual compliance program work plan and risk assessment
- Develop and conduct compliance training and education programs for initial orientation and on an annual basis. Work with Subject Matter Experts to conduct specific compliance education and training
- Evaluate effectiveness of Compliance Program
- Maintain Compliance Program calendar of recurring events
- Ensure ongoing proactive, positive communications to Leaders around compliance messages; ensure ongoing strategy to develop and measure Leaders’ awareness of compliance information, policies and procedures
- Act as a resource to management, senior leadership and staff around Compliance issues
- (e.g. research compliance issues for new areas of business, etc.)
- Support coding audit program and ensure compliance with coding policy
- Partner with legal, quality and risk to identify and track Compliance/Legal/Quality risks and action plans
- Collaborate with the Finance Department to ensure compliance with the Agency’s Asset Protection Program
- Conduct internal compliance auditing and monitoring on high risk areas (including reportable privacy breaches) and report out to the Risk, Quality Management Board Committee
- Investigate complaints from the Compliance Hotline and other sources as delegated by the Compliance Officer
- Maintain External Filings/Reporting master document (e.g. Title X, PPFA, etc.) and ensure compliance
- Maintain confidential records and files of all Corporate Compliance Program activities, including all steps and determinations made as a result of investigations
- Develop and monitor Compliance program budget
- Attend healthcare compliance related meetings and events to stay current and to form collaborative partnerships (e.g. Annual HCCA conference, PPAC, Health Center Partners, etc.)
- Keep current on operational and other organizational changes to determine any compliance program impact.
- Patient Privacy Program:
- Act as agency’s HIPAA Privacy Officer including the following:
- Develop, maintain, and train on HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures to ensure staff compliance with current federal and state laws and regulations. Ensure retention of records and documents as required by law.
- Collaborate with Agency’s HIPAA Security Officer to ensure staff compliance with policies and procedures related to (cyber) privacy and to develop staff training
- Receive, document, investigate and respond to complaints about privacy practices including the reporting of privacy breaches to CDPH or federal HHS (OCR) as appropriate
- Ensure imposition of sanctions for failure to comply with HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures in conjunction with HR and debrief terminated members of workforce about Privacy Regulation requirements
- Assess the need for and maintain Business Associate Agreements and Non-Disclosure Agreements
- Coordinate the development of privacy risk assessment policies and procedures designed to measure the performance and quality of the Agency’s privacy program
- Identify any new state laws not pre-empted or superseded by HIPAA Privacy Regulation (in conjunction with General Counsel)
- Assist Medical Records Department with authorization for release of health information questions
- Answer patient questions about Notice of Health Information Privacy Practices, assist with requests for an Accounting of Disclosures and determinations of the Minimum Necessary Rule
- Ensure research protocols and related privacy requirements are followed
*Loc=San Diego Admin
We are the power of Planned Parenthood.
We are Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest, one of the largest and most prominent affiliates of the most iconic health care organization in the world. We are recognized for the wide array of services we provide and the outstanding education we deliver.
We are a prominent and powerful team of health experts who work relentlessly to help our communities sustain their health and well-being. We adhere to the highest standards and protocols as we collaborate and care for people, without judgment.
100 years of advocating for our mission has secured our advancement, our future and our passion for practicing health care.
We are a team you can have fun with and a powerful movement you can be part of. Together we’ll take pride in shaping the future of sexual health and reproductive rights.
For those who feel that purpose is critical to their work, this is a gift.
In This Together.
Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please visit our careers page for more information: www.pppswcareers.org