Research Associate, Gene Editing
Designer Platelet Team
Platelet BioGenesis, located in Cambridge is a venture-backed biotech startup that was spun out of Harvard Medical School to produce donor-independent human platelets. We are a highly driven and ambitious young company that values openness, transparency, intellectual honesty, and collaboration, in our endeavor to transform the blood system.
We make platelets. We have developed and patented a microfluidic bioreactor and shown that functional platelets can be generated from human induced pluripotent stem cell cultures. We are now scaling platelet production for human clinical trials and leveraging our platelet platform for cell-based drug delivery. The successful Research Associate will join our Designer Platelet Team, working directly on genetic engineering of pluripotent stem cells as part of our drug delivery platform. The ideal candidate has experience with genetic engineering, pluripotent stem cells, platelets and enjoys working with a team of scientists in a fast-paced and highly matrix environment.
What you will be responsible for:
- Developing protocols for transgene delivery in iPSCs
- Optimizing standard operating procedures associated with platelet loading of small-molecule and biologic drugs.
- Contributing to design and implementation of in vivo proof-of-concept studies
- Performing flow cytometry analysis and in vitro cell-based assays (platelet experience a plus).
- Keeping accurate and detailed records of experiments and results and generate and maintain clear experimental notebooks.
- Regular participation and presentation at team and company meetings of experimental results.
What you will bring to the team:
- Authorized to work in the U.S. – Required.
- BS/MS in biology, molecular biology, cell biology or immunology.
- At least 1-3 years of lab experience
- Experience working with ES/iPS and hematopoietic stem cells
- Experience with lentiviral transduction and rDNA transfection of stem cells
- Experience with common cell/molecular biology techniques (Western Blot, RT-qPCR, proliferation/viability assays, cell uptake and microscopy).
- Critical thinker with excellent problem‐solving skills with the ability to design experiments and interpret data.
- Excellent and effective oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work well both in a team and independently.
- Flexible, hard-working, is capable of managing multiple complex projects at any given time, and can work under pressure to achieve development timelines.
- Time management and ability to prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Team oriented with a strong work ethic and open to working in a matrix environment.
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Retirement Planning (401k)
- Unlimited vacation/sick days
- Parental Leave
- Commuter Discounts
- Snacks, company outings, and much more!