Watertown, MA /
Business Operations /
This is your opportunity to join a highly driven and ambitious young company that values collaboration, respect, intellectual curiosity, and integrity in our endeavor to transform the way cell therapies are developed and to expand the field of platelet-derived therapeutics. Inspired by platelet biology, we have developed a scalable, cGMP-compliant cell culture platform to make engineered human pluripotent stem cell-derived megakaryocytes and platelets. This is an exciting time to join PB as we further scale production for human clinical trials and leverage our platform for cell-based drug delivery opportunities.
Our Ideal Candidate
PlateletBio is looking for an experienced Lab Manager that will support an amazing team of research professionals in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. This individual will be our ‘go-to’ person for all things lab related. We are looking for someone with strong experience managing a lab with both biology and chemistry components. Our ideal candidate understands and thrives in an entrepreneurial environment, consistently looking for opportunities for improvement to our operations while maintaining a safe lab for our entire team.
- Coordinate with R&D, QC, and administrative teams to promote a safe and efficient research environment, including:
- Overseeing R&D activities, which represent the vast majority of lab operations at our headquarters, consisting primarily of Biology wet lab work at BSL2.
- Assisting our pilot Quality Control team, which operates a GMP compliant subsection of the main lab with enhanced process and documentation requirements.
- Working with administrators to manage new employee onboarding, training, lab policy creation and distribution.
- Interact regularly with all lab teams to identify and address current and upcoming workflow bottlenecks.
- Assist with the oversight and management of contract EH&S and lab support.
- Supervise shipping needs for research samples and, in concert with contract lab support, the receiving of daily research supplies and deliveries.
- Support general lab operations by purchasing research supplies, assisting with oversight of our procurement platform, and contributing to budget proposals and projections.
- Perform regular inventory of lab common stocks. Analyze lab workflows to arrange materials and resources in an efficient manner.
- Develop proficiency in the maintenance and troubleshooting of critical lab instrumentation.
- Monitor and oversee the appropriate maintenance of lab related facilities.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Above all else, demonstrates very strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with a wide array of personalities and work styles.
- Bachelor’s degree with a background in physical/biological sciences required.
- 5+ years of professional experience managing a lab in a biotechnology, pharmaceutical, or biomedical academic research setting preferred.
- Demonstrates strong skills in organization, time management, and team coordination.
- Adaptability to be able to shift gears and re-prioritize throughout the day and week as new needs arise in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Takes initiative and exhibits independence in identifying and addressing short and long-term opportunities for optimization of lab processes.
- Communicates clearly, listens to understand, and drives cross-functional communication transparency, and alignment.
PlateletBio, located in Watertown, MA, is a venture-backed biotech startup that was spun out of Harvard Medical School to produce allogeneic cell therapies from engineered induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs).
As an equal opportunity employer, Platelet Bio does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin or veteran status. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for team members from all backgrounds.