Senior Engineering Manager (Remote)
At Plato, we’re on a mission to help engineering managers become great leaders. Our platform intelligently matches “mentees” to highly experienced engineering leaders of various backgrounds to help resolve their most pressing management challenges. After raising over $3M from SaaStr's Jason Lemkin, Slack, Zoom CEO Eric Yuan, and more earlier this year, we've experienced exceptional and rapid growth.
We are looking for an engineering leader to join our team and help build the future of engineering and product leadership.
Who you are
- You have experience leading an engineering team.
- You’re capable of leading globally distributed team members who might have different skill sets from your own.
- You have a deep understanding of how software is built and deployed.
- You have very strong verbal and written English communication skills.
- You’re comfortable with participatory management.
- You have a track record of holding a team accountable to goals and aligned with company-wide strategic priorities, while maintaining high levels of autonomy on your team.
- 5 years+ of work experience in a similar role
- Humble and Growth mindset - You're humble and you're always finding way to grow in your skills and mindset with books, mentors, training...
- Strategic thinking / visioning - You're able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends
- High standards - You expects personal performance and team performance to be nothing short of the best
- Honesty / Integrity - You do not cut corners ethically, you earn and maintain trust
Nice to have
- Connected to Mentorship / Coaching - Someone who is connected to Mentorship (has been a mentor at Plato, has been a mentor to someone etc.) or someone who has been a coach. Or can demonstrate that they love doing that
- Lead engineering team(s) to ship high quality software on predictable schedules during our product cycles.
- Represent the team in planning and product meetings
- Translate engineering team vision into action
- Coordinate with Product Managers and other areas such as Quality, Marketing and Marketplace success
- Set expectations, provide regular feedback & keep team members accountable
- Develop a strong two-way feedback loop where you share organizational context and build a deep understanding of the engineer and how they work
- Support engineers and help reach a resolution when challenges arise
- Craft a fulfilling and engaging work experience through regular career growth and development conversation
- Participate in hiring and onboarding of engineers
- Maintain a strong and up-to-date understanding of the challenges and opportunities your team is facing building and deploying software. Most of your time won’t be spent coding, but you should get your hands in the code regularly to maintain context.
Manage the context in which team members operate, including:
Have regular one-on-one syncs with engineers, where you will:
Iterate and improve our engineering processes and technical culture
Very few companies have the potential to do something truly meaningful to actually help others. We believe that making managers better, more successful, and happier results in a happier overall workplace. And improving that even 10% leads to a ripple effect.
We spend nearly all of our waking lives at work. Let's make that better.
Our team is fully remote, our only requirement is that you are able to commit to:
3-4 hour overlap with PST for non-customer facing roles
5 hour overlap with PST for customer facing roles
Plato is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Learn more about your EEO rights as an applicant.
If you’re applying for a position in San Francisco, review the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance guidelines applicable in your area.
Plato is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.