Art & Design /
Here at Playco, we make games that bring the world closer together through play!
Our ideal teammates are thoughtful, low ego, and hardworking professionals who can both zoom into the details and zoom out to embrace the big picture. We are passionate about makers and tinkerers, who are unafraid to experiment with a healthy disregard for constraints. We hope you'll enrich our team with your enthusiasm and passion, both for games and for life.
About this Role
We’re looking for an experienced Art Director to help lead the art team, guiding an extremely talented team of designers who are known for exceptional creativity. The ideal art director will bring a mix of artistic, marketing, and project management expertise to the position, promoting our company and that of our valued clients. You will be working with internal game artists and outsourcing studios to grow games from concept art to full production. We are looking for an experienced manager, who can inspire and be inspired by others to take our creative efforts to the next level. The ideal candidate will have a natural eye for design and a passion for delivering dynamic ideas that connect with any audience.
- Work with the creative team to establish a unified brand understanding and voice for the company, helming a creative audit to elevate our innovation.
- Conceptualize campaign vision, harnessing original graphics, copy, content websites, social media, and other marketing materials.
- Develop creative briefs based on ideas established in brainstorming sessions with direction, schedules, and expected deliverables for the creative team.
- Delegate projects to in-house designers and oversee storyboards.
- Obtain team approval by presenting final layouts, storyboards, and illustrations, encouraging members to provide feedback, and responding to internal commentary and requests.
- Present or oversee presentation of final concepts and coordinate production and dissemination for cross-organizational use.
- Oversee the art department by assisting with hiring, training, assigning, scheduling, and mentoring staff.
- Establish art department standards for production, productivity, quality, and client service.
- Ensure the team adheres to current processes, identifying opportunities for continuous improvement, and proposing and creating processes and tools to support design operations.
- Collaborate with marketing and sales divisions in creating marketing plans, aligning team priorities with business goals to deliver high-quality work on time and on budget.
- Develop presentation approaches, styles, and techniques for the team to implement.
- Study and evaluate market trends, consumer needs, the competitive landscape, and track campaign performance.
- 8+ years of experience in mobile game development and 4+ years of experience in a management capacity.
- Outstanding knowledge of art fundamentals such as: Lighting, color, anatomy, perspective, exceptional draughtsmanship skills. Being able to apply these skills across different styles. Being able to apply these skills across different disciplines (UI, animation, illustration, etc.).
- An art portfolio that demonstrates the ability to make art that’s in line with the top mobile games in the industry.
- Must have proficient knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (a basic understanding of Animate/Flash is important).
- Experience in task management software.
- Experience working with outsourcing companies.
- Good and clear communication. Ability to give direct but constructive feedback.
- Detail-oriented and organized.