2020035 - VP of Engineering
India (Remote) /
Engineering – Engineering Org. /
Plivo is a cloud communications platform that empowers businesses to connect, engage and interact with their customers in a more efficient and meaningful way.
Plivo’s mission is to simplify business communications. Thousands of businesses around the globe including IBM, Workday, Godaddy, and Lifesize rely on Plivo to power their voice and SMS communications at global scale.
Founded in 2011, Plivo has over 180 employees across its US and India offices. Plivo is part of YCombinator and is backed by prominent investors, including Andreessen Horowitz and Battery Ventures.
Plivo has been profitable for the past four years, an unusual milestone for companies of this scale. Plivo’s success has landed it among the leading, global CPaaS (Communications Platform as a Service) companies and at the cutting edge of the CPaaS sector, which is estimated to grow to $10.9 billion by 2022.
Plivo is looking for a VP of Engineering to head our engineering function. As a leader, you will be responsible for multiple product lines that contribute to the company's revenues. The position is based in Bangalore.
As a VP of Engineering, you will be responsible for providing leadership, best in class technical solutions, timely & highest quality of delivery, and most importantly help shape and drive the engineering culture.
Leadership: Lead multiple engineering teams to own and deliver the product roadmaps. You will help build and develop a high performing engineering org and be responsible for its P&L, budgeting and staffing end to end.
Technical Solutions: In this hands-on leadership role, you will work closely with Engineering Managers and Product Managers to develop the best technical solutions for our existing and new products.
Delivery: You will also set up the organization & processes to enable the timely and highest quality of delivery for all products.
Culture: Help shape and drive Plivo’s engineering culture and best practices (engineering vision, mission, and values) and create an engineering culture embodying Plivo’s mission.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Own the engineering function for all of our products.
- Responsible for building and operating services 24*7 that are used by enterprises globally.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders (product management, sales, marketing, support, finance, etc) to improve product capabilities and services.
- Lead the strategy, planning, and execution of the team to meet customer requirements.
- Continue to develop and improve current engineering processes. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers.
- Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well-architected, and supportable code.
- Work to enable a Continuous Integration environment and cross-training within the team.
- Foster leadership principles and behaviours throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- Lead talent management including hiring, developing and retaining a world-class team.
- Minimum 14 years experience leading a team of 70+ members for web-based products comprising leads, managers, and engineers.
- Experience at a high growth, fast-paced technology company.
- Hands-on experience developing complex web-based systems based on modern tech stack.
- 4+ years of experience managing a meaningful P&L.
- Experience having managed meaningful scope of products, from conception through the continuous operation of 24x7 services.
- Great communication, organization and management skills.
- Expertise in AWS, agile software development processes, continuous integration, test automation, and tools like Confluence, Git, Jenkins and Jira.
- Highly analytical with the ability to think first principles. Has excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to make quick decisions based on business needs.
- Bonus: Still writes code for fun.
Why should you take up this role?
- Communications is the life-blood of business globally and our mission is to simplify business communications.
- With such a large market opportunity and having scaled the business profitability we think this is a great opportunity for a leader to grow professionally by leading a great engineering team in a fast-paced culture and solve a meaningful problem.
- Deliver an impact by driving usage for a global product used by 1000s of businesses around the world with billions of API transactions every month.
- Be part of a fun, smart, passionate multi-cultural and merit-driven team.