General Counsel, Regulatory and Compliance (Remote)
Remote / Full Time Employee
At Plume, we’re on a mission to radically transform healthcare access for the transgender and gender-nonconforming communities. As a trans-founded company, we're proud to be building a virtual care home that makes a difference in countless lives. Are you ready to be part of our growing team in the healthtech industry?
Available to over 1 million transgender individuals across 45 states, we're growing fast and need passionate, talented individuals like you to join our journey and help us to increase access to life-saving Gender Affirming Hormone Therapy and transform healthcare for every trans life. If you have a heart-forward approach and resonate with our values, we'd love to hear from you!
Our Core Values:
🌈 We Are Authentic: We opt for honest and direct conversations. We strive to be vulnerable and connect authentically.
🌈 We Are Accountable: We follow up and commit to each other within the community and to ourselves.
🌈 We Are Growth-Oriented: We take the initiative, we’re proactive learners, and we tackle new challenges.
🌈 We Are Inclusive: We’re considerate of working across diverse experiences. Every voice is valuable in serving our vision. We have an unusual bias for seeking input.
🌈 We Are Collaborative: We put “we” before I, we stay engaged and communicative when we disagree, and we can commit even if we’re not in complete agreement.
🌈 We Are Trans-Informed: We ask “why?” and distrust the status quo. We honor awkwardness & experimentation over polish and how things have always been done.
About the Role:
Reporting directly to our Chief Operating Officer, the General Counsel will play a vital role in overseeing all legal and compliance aspects of our operations, leading us confidently in the constantly evolving landscapes of healthcare and telehealth regulations. This senior leadership position will provide strategic advice and insight across multiple domains, including employment, commercial, and regulatory matters, contributing directly to the growth and strategic direction of Plume.
If our mission and values speak to you, you're an experienced general counsel with healthcare compliance experience, and you have a deep understanding of the trans experience, we can't wait to meet you!
What you’ll be doing:
- Successful management of business and legal risks across multiple domains including employment, commercial (nice to have fundraising and M&A)
- Demonstrable compliance with healthcare and telehealth regulations such as PHE, DEA matters, state & federal laws, HIPAA/HITECH, and SOC2
- Effective facilitation of business objectives through timely and practical legal advice to all departments, leading to risk mitigation and fulfillment of legal obligations
- Process improvements - in the efficiency of forms, policies, and processes related to corporate, employee affairs, and regulatory matters
- Seamless implementation of new laws and regulations impacting the business, in collaboration with various teams
- Successful oversight of all company agreements, including drafting, reviewing, negotiating, approving contracts and key business terms
- Streamlined coordination and supervision of external legal services, leading to cost-efficiency and effective use of external resources
- Clear translation of complex legal topics into relevant, insightful explanations and decisions that inform strategic and operational teams
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of new laws, regulations, and industry trends and providing proactive advice on how they may affect the company
- Successful guidance and strategy in the defense of suits filed against the Company, effective risk identification, and implementation of alternative methods of dispute resolution when appropriate
- Efficient handling of corporate matters, including board/shareholder matters and equity plan administration, leading to smooth corporate operations
- Display proactive decision-making capabilities, anticipating legal implications and advising the company accordingly in various scenarios, enhancing the overall legal strategy
- Leverage experience from healthcare organizations to provide informed advice on healthcare regulations and laws, positively impacting the company's healthcare-related operations
- Efficiently analyze regulations, particularly in areas of controlled substances and Telehealth, and provide strategic recommendations, thereby influencing company policy and practices
- Effectively navigate the legislative and regulatory environment, similar to organizations like Planned Parenthood, to anticipate potential legal challenges and inform the company's legal strategy
- If applicable, successfully manage legal aspects of fundraising initiatives to support company growth
- Due to the nature of startups, this role is expected to be dynamic and may evolve to encompass additional duties and ad hoc projects as needed
- Deep understanding, appreciation, and compassion for the trans experience
- JD from a nationally accredited law school
- 6+ years of in-house or law firm experience as an attorney, with experience providing legal counsel on healthcare/telehealth related laws & regulations (experience with mergers & acquisitions / VC funding is preferred)
- Familiarity with HIPAA, HITRUST, SOC 2, and other regulations and compliance needs that may affect a digital healthcare startup (experience with controlled substances and DEA regulations is preferred)
- Demonstrated success in negotiating commercial business contracts / IP with vendors, clients, partners, etc.
- Highly skilled in verbal / written business communications, and highly adept at synthesizing / summarizing complex content into clear, concise, and actionable communications & trainings
- Strong process-orientation and a demonstrated success in identifying, developing, and implementing scalable/sustainable processes and other continuous improvements to achieve organizational efficiencies
- Ability to think creatively & strategically while formulating sound, valid, and practical legal advice
- Strategic and Accountable: You are a forward-thinking and proactive individual, demonstrating strong accountability and effective decision-making in complex situations
- Communicator with Integrity: You excel at translating intricate legal matters into comprehensible terms and uphold the highest ethical standards, particularly in sensitive situations
- Comfort with simultaneously balancing legal risks with business needs, guiding others to perform successfully in cross-functional teams, leading/mentoring/developing others
- A demonstrated respect for cultural and linguistic differences and promoting an inclusive and diverse work environment
- Admitted to practice law in at least one state and in good standing of applicable bar associations
- Enthusiasm for embracing opportunities to do legal and advisory work outside your primary areas of expertise in order to meet the needs of a rapidly scaling and dynamic legal function and business
Compensation & Benefits:
- $170-180k Annual Salary
- Ground-Floor Equity
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k)
- Free Plume and Mental Health Subscriptions
Plume is an equal-opportunity employer. Trans and gender-nonconforming individuals are strongly encouraged to apply, particularly those who identify as people of color. We positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of age, color, disability, national origin, ancestry, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. We will provide reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities upon request. Please let us know if you require any accommodations to apply or interview for this position.
Discover more about Plume at www.getplume.co and become part of our award-winning journey towards transforming healthcare for every trans life. Join us today in shaping the future of healthtech and LGBTQ+ care!