Lead Engineer, SRE
San Francisco /
Do you like to build for enterprise-scale & fast-growing teams?
Do you care about democratizing data?
How about balancing the global distribution of wealth?
At Pngme, we believe everyone deserves equal access to finance. We’re opening the capital market to the 3.3 billion people worldwide who to-date have been locked out from traditional finance. Who are our customers? Banks, Fintechs and Credit Bureaus use our platform to design new financial products for this enormous new customer segment. We do this by finding innovative ways to gather, structure, present and analyse user information -- for instance, creating synthetic credit scores based on a user’s bill-pay and peer-to-peer finance transactions.
We are a remote-first company, with offices in San Francisco, Lagos, and Nairobi. We invest heavily in our employees and pride ourselves on our inclusive culture and ongoing professional development that focuses on finding your 'perfect fit'. We are backed by Octopus Ventures, Radical Ventures, Unshackled Ventures, Lateral Capital, Echo VC, as well as the inventor of Amazon Alexa and other renowned investors. We have team members and advisors from PayPal Ventures, Branch International, Juvo, and Layer6.
About the role
PngMe is looking for an experienced SRE to design, orchestrate and manage the compute infrastructure for our services, with an eye towards enterprise-scale growth. Our users count on our platform to be highly reliable, lightning fast and be top-tier in security. Ideal applicants will have been the lead engineer overseeing a high-octane team responsible for for conceiving of and managing the implementation of infrastructure suitable for early companies navigating a growth trajectory of 10-100 engineers, and know what it means to quickly unblock developers with access to necessary resources while still maintaining an environment of granular access control and least-privilege.
● Own the vision for configuring and managing the dev and prod Cloud environments for PngMe’s services.
● Develop tooling for developer self-service & ease-of-access when provisioning Cloud resources.
● Manage Cloud resources and own monitoring/observability.
● Design and manage developer access control and security (IAM/RBAC).
● Work with leadership to establish and execute on a roadmap for the evolution of PngMe’s choice in Cloud compute resources.
● Work closely with the engineering teams and understand their needs & unblock development with thoughtful and speedy access to compute resources.
● Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or other engineering discipline.
● 5+ years work experience in an SRE/DevOps role.
● In-depth, hands-on experience with Linux, networking, server, and cloud architectures -- including the setup and management of virtual networks and the setup of developer remote network access.
● Experience in configuration management technologies & infrastructure as code, such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Terraform, …
● Extensive experience setting up and maintaining services in Amazon Web Services, including but not limited to: RDS, Kubernetes, Kafka, Lambda, ElasticSearch, DynamoDB, Redshift, Kinesis, CloudWatch, Secret Manager, ...
● Extensive experience in the configuration, deployment, management and maintenance of large cloud-hosted systems; including auto-scaling, monitoring, performance tuning, troubleshooting and disaster recovery.
● Proficiency with source control and CI/CD.
● Highly proficient in designing and implementing an IAM strategy and role-based access control.
● Championing a culture and work environment that promotes diversity and inclusion.
● Mentor new-hires as PngMe builds its SRE and devOps team.
● Masters Degree in Computer Science.
● Admin training in maintaining a Kubernetes cluster.
● Experienced having worked with developers to strategize and migrate applications among environments.
● Experience in security system operations, SOC compliance, GDPR, and management of PII or other sensitive data.
Why you will love PngMe
● An impact-driven company with a product that improves people’s lives.
● A fast-moving startup environment with plenty of unbounded problems for the intrepid and brave.
● Our Priorities: Employee happiness. Customer happiness. Company success. In that order.
● Remote and collaborative international team.
● An environment of trust, responsibility and impact.
● We are empathetic and love listening to our customers / users.
● A work environment that provides support and independence. You are not expected to know everything, but you want to learn it all.
● Comprehensive benefits (including 100% healthcare, dental, and vision).
● Additional benefits include home office reimbursements.
Salary Range: base $160,000 - $190,000 + Benefits + Stock Options