Lead Backend Engineer (Remote)
Imagine a virtual world where socializing and gaming collide to create a world of infinite possibilities. That's Pocket Worlds. We've been sitting at the intersection of social networking and gaming for some time now, and we're here to inject some play into the digital world.
Over the past 10 years, we've been building immersive virtual worlds that provide a sense of belonging to all who enter. We've got over 20 million Highrise citizens, and every day they come together to play, build, explore, and trade with each other.
As we continue to build and expand our platform, we remain focused on our mission of creating deep, rich virtual worlds where everyone belongs. As part of our mission, we've been actively developing the infrastructure to support user-generated content. This empowers our players to craft their own worlds and brings them one step closer to realizing their visions.
We believe that the future of virtual worlds is bright, and we're excited to be at the forefront of this industry. As we continue to grow and expand our platform, we're looking for talented individuals to join us on this journey of innovation and creativity. If you're passionate about building virtual worlds that bring people together and push the boundaries of what's possible, we want you on our team!
About the Role
As our Lead Backend Engineer, you'll be at the forefront of our mission to build the metaverse of the future. You'll be responsible for taking ownership of our entire existing backend architecture, which currently supports 300k daily active users and is poised for explosive growth. You'll work closely with our team of talented developers, driving our current and future development as we expand our architecture to embrace user-generated content and experiences.
We're looking for someone who can hit the ground running and make a significant impact from day one. You'll be the owner of our backend, responsible for all feature development and infrastructure. Your work will be crucial to the success of our product and the satisfaction of our users.
Joining our team means immersing yourself in a dynamic, high-energy environment where dedication and drive are essential to success. You'll have the opportunity to work alongside some of the most talented developers in the industry, and you'll have the autonomy to make important decisions and drive the direction of our product.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be part of a company revolutionizing the gaming industry. And as we open our first office in Austin, you'll have the chance to help us build a culture and establish our presence in this incredible city.
Our Current Backend Stack:
- Async typed Python (similar to typescript)
Our Planned Stack Upgrades:
- C# dedicated game servers to handle running custom Lua code for UGC
Here are the skills and qualities we're looking for in our ideal candidate:
- You have exceptional backend development experience and have experience with the core technologies in our current backend stack.
- You have extensive experience managing infrastructure at scale, with proven success at delivering stability and performance.
- You have at least 10 years of experience in backend development and infrastructure management.
- You have experience architecting, designing, and implementing a wide array of software products.
- You have experience with the Unity engine, either as a game developer or on the backend.
- You have experience supporting mission-critical applications at scale.
- You have built any side projects or games outside of work or made significant open-source contributions.
- You have experience programming in Lua.
- You are passionate about leading a team of developers to deliver solutions to solve product and business-level problems.
- You are a starter who loves to experiment and learn new things.
- You’re high energy and you feel comfortable leading and pushing your team to succeed.
- You absolutely love what you do. Your work is your passion and you value working with people who feel the same.