Senior Software Developer (Unity)
Who We Are
Sitting at the intersection of social networking and gaming, we empower creativity and connection in a digital world. Our mission is to build deep, rich virtual worlds where everyone belongs.
We have been working towards this mission for a decade. We are the creators of Highrise, the first virtual world on mobile, which has seen extraordinary growth over the last few years and now boasts over 20 million users across iOS and Android. Every day, the citizens of Highrise come together to hangout, explore, create, collect, and trade in our metaverse, and we are on the precipice of making history once again with our expansion into Highrise World.
To build creative worlds where you belong.
About This Role
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for designing and building the architecture of the next-gen game engine for Highrise. You will be taking what Highrise is today, with its 20 million users, to the next level by building the game engine that will bring our entire world to life.
Along the way, you and your team will be building:
- Highrise Studio. The UGC toolkit for users to craft environments, experiences, and content to populate the metaverse.
- Highrise Social. The connecting social fabric of our world, this allows our users to meet and connect with each other in brand new ways not possible with any other virtual world.
- Highrise Marketplace. Completing the loop between creator and consumer, the Highrise Marketplace is bringing a true e-commerce experience to the virtual world.
This role is remote, as is the entire company, but applicants from North & South America, Canada are preferred.
As Senior Software Developer, you will...
- Solve a variety of unique technical challenges
- Have the independence, opportunity, and the end-to-end responsibility to design, build, test and deploy the next-gen game engine and world builder for Highrise.
- Be a technical bar-raiser for high code quality, architectural designs, and long-term approaches
- Mentor and develop fellow engineers on the team
- Design systems and services that are scalable and resilient
- Collaborate with passionate, Engineers, Product Managers, and other Highrise team members, cross-functionally
To be successful in this role, we'd expect you to…
- Exceptional C# design and programming skills with at least 5 years of software programming experience
- You must also have at least 3 years of experience in programming with the Unity engine
- Experience shipping software at a professional level
- Have experience architecting, designing, and implementing of a wide array of software products
- Have experience supporting mission-critical applications at scale
- Be able to work well in a remote development environment
- Be highly communicative and go out of your way to contribute to the team and help others
- Bonus points for experience with mobile app development with iOS or Android
- Bonus point for any side projects or games you’ve built outside of work
- Meaningful equity in an extremely fast-growing startup
- Company-sponsored medical and dental insurance
- Unlimited Vacation policy. Time off is important - we encourage you to take the time you need
- Education stipend. We deeply believe in learning and self-improvement. We've set aside a budget for every employee to learn additional skills and grow
- A Highrise Admin badge for your avatar
What its Really Like to Work Here
We are a global team of nearly 100 people right now and rapidly growing. We feel a sense of ownership over our work and take great pride in what we do. We are not afraid to make, and most importantly, admit our mistakes — that allows us to show up authentically and build relationships of trust across the board. We are the scrappy kind, so we try to do more with less, and we love that! If you were to ask our team to describe our culture, they would probably say we are a passionate group of peeps trying to impact the next revolution of the internet.
Dream big, then make it real.
Be an owner, make a difference.
Build with humility.
Fast is better than slow.
Keep it scrappy.
Always be learning.
Read more about our values here.