Senior Data Engineer
Who We Are
Sitting at the intersection of social networking and gaming, we empower creativity and connection in a digital world. Our mission is to build deep, rich virtual worlds where everyone belongs.
We have been working towards this mission for a decade. We are the creators of Highrise, the first virtual world on mobile, which has seen extraordinary growth over the last few years and now boasts over 20 million users across iOS and Android. Every day, the citizens of Highrise come together to hangout, explore, create, collect, and trade in our metaverse, and we are on the precipice of making history once again with our expansion into Highrise World.
To build creative worlds where you belong.
About This Role
In this role as the first Data Engineer on the Pocket World’s Data Science team, your primary responsibility will be to partner with key stakeholders, data scientists and software engineers to support and enable the continued growth critical to Pocket Worlds.
You will be responsible for creating the technology and data architecture that moves and translates data used to inform our most critical strategic and real-time decisions. You will also help translate business needs into requirements and identify efficiency opportunities. In addition to extracting and transforming data, you will be expected to use your expertise to build extensible data models, provide meaningful recommendations and actionable strategies to partnering data scientist for performance enhancements and development of best practices, including streamlining of data sources and related programmatic initiatives. The ideal candidate will have a passion for working in white space and creating impact from the ground up in a fast-paced environment.
As Senior Data Engineer, you will...
- Create and maintain a data engineering pipeline.
- Build jobs and tools to provide actionable insights into key metrics.
- Debug discrepancy issues that come up in the ETL like misaligned metrics with external partners.
- Integrating data from multiple sources across the internal and external ecosystem.
- Work closely with the engineering, product, and marketing team to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
- Be responsible for data quality assurance.
To be successful in this role, we'd expect you to…
- Have at least 4 years of experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Have strong SQL skills.
- Have experience with AWS cloud services including Redshift, EC2.
- Have experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Be experienced in relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Redshift, Postgres, Redis, and MySQL.
- Be able to work well in a remote development environment.
- Be highly communicative and go out of your way to contribute to the team and help others,
- Bonus point for previous experience working with gaming, ad tech or publishing data sets is considered an asset.
What its Really Like to Work Here
We are a global team of nearly 100 people right now and rapidly growing. We feel a sense of ownership over our work and take great pride in what we do. We are not afraid to make, and most importantly, admit our mistakes — that allows us to show up authentically and build relationships of trust across the board. We are the scrappy kind, so we try to do more with less, and we love that! If you were to ask our team to describe our culture, they would probably say we are a passionate group of peeps trying to impact the next revolution of the internet.
Dream big, then make it real.
Be an owner, make a difference.
Build with humility.
Fast is better than slow.
Keep it scrappy.
Always be learning.
Read more about our values here.