Senior Software Engineer (Python)
Imagine a virtual world where socializing and gaming collide to create a world of infinite possibilities. That's Pocket Worlds. We've been sitting at the intersection of social networking and gaming for some time now, and we're here to inject some play into the digital world.
Over the past 10 years, we've been building immersive virtual worlds that provide a sense of belonging to all who enter. We've got over 20 million Highrise citizens, and every day they come together to play, build, explore, and trade with each other.
As we continue to build and expand our platform, we remain focused on our mission of creating deep, rich virtual worlds where everyone belongs. As part of our mission, we've been actively developing the infrastructure to support user-generated content. This empowers our players to craft their own worlds and brings them one step closer to realizing their visions.
We believe that the future of virtual worlds is bright, and we're excited to be at the forefront of this industry. As we continue to grow and expand our platform, we're looking for talented individuals to join us on this journey of innovation and creativity. If you're passionate about building virtual worlds that bring people together and push the boundaries of what's possible, we want you on our team!
About the Role
As a Senior Software Engineer, your main responsibility will be working on backend services for Highrise. You will be building and maintaining the underlying systems and infrastructure that support the application, which has over 2 million monthly active users. You will work on a variety of projects for the 2D (and soon also 3D) virtual environment. From a technical standpoint, the projects may include authentication systems, messaging, and notifications, search and discovery mechanisms, payment processing, content moderation, analytics, and more.
Our Current Backend Stack:
- Async typed Python (similar to typescript)
Here are the skills and qualities we're looking for in our ideal candidate:
- You have very good Python programming skills with at least 8 years of backend software experience.
- You’ve built and maintained a product with at least 100,000 daily active users
- You have strong knowledge of distributed systems. You have knowledge of AWS, Kubernetes, Docker, or other similar infrastructure platforms and tools.
- You have experience with designing systems and monitoring metrics.
- You have experience architecting, designing, and implementing a wide array of software products.
- You are able to take a nebulous project, architect a solution, split it up into tasks, and ultimately get it done quickly and efficiently.
- You know how to earn the respect and trust of other engineers within the company as a strong technical leader and mentor for others.
- You have a reputation for launching quality, turbulence-free code, and projects.
- You have experience in taking leadership of a project or a team.
- You have excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- You are self-driven and require little direction to do your best work.
- You excel in start-up and fast-paced environments, in which you may wear many hats.