Lead Data Science Engineer
Los Angeles, California
Popdog is a technology and services company focused on fixing core problems in the esports and live streaming industry. That means we're building tools meant to power the future of the space, and we're eager to find talented folks (like you!) to join us on this journey.
We've assembled a team of industry leaders, like Loaded, Noscope, and Catalyst Esports, to come together like never before to develop better ways to monetize and stabilize the industries we love. Many of our team were formative to the rise of esports and gaming, and now we're taking all that knowledge and experience to build things that can ensure a future for it.
Popdog is the brainchild of a team who've poured decades of blood, sweat, and tears into ensuring video games are a real future for people around the globe. We work with every game publisher you can think of and brands like ADIDAS, Red Bull, HBO. If you want to be part of an imaginative, data-driven, and self-aware team who are creating things we've never seen, we are your future.
About Engineering at Popdog
Our engineering team is looking for like-minded individuals that love video games, moving fast, breaking things and putting them back together (if this scares you, don't worry, we know the value of running stable production systems and we don't require you to be 8000 MMR in DotA 2.)
We value demonstrated ability. Whether you’ve attained your PhD, attended Hack Reactor or spent your entire youth hacking away on personal projects, we’re a very diverse bunch looking for more team mates with the willpower and drive to build cool shit.
If you’re looking for a chill 9-5 where your ultimate benchmark is the yearly 360 review, it’s unlikely we’ll make you happy right now. But if you’re hungry for real, unadulterated growth and having true impact on not only the product you're building, but also the team you're building it with, we’d like to talk to you.
As the lead engineer for our data science engineering team, you are expected to be able to wear both lab coat and mechanical keyboard equally well.
Your team will work closely with our internal tools team and other engineering teams to architect, oversee and maintain our internal data science infrastructure. You will also be expected to gather requirements from all internal business units and engineering teams, plan and oversee the adoption of best practices that further the collection and analysis of all data.
This includes maintaining our Redshift cluster, Metabase, ETL processes and other tools, and supporting all stakeholders in their usage.
You are also expected to educate business stakeholders in the proper analysis and application of data to aid their needs.
We consider it a huge bonus if you have experience in ML - you'll find plenty of challenges that we are trying to tackle that will benefit from it.
- Work closely with all internal stakeholders to gather requirements and formulate plans to satisfy their data needs.
- Actively seek out opportunities to gather more relevant data and improve the decision making processes with the help of data.
- Educate stakeholders and internal teams in how to correctly gather, process and analyze data.
- Work with other engineering leads and teams to minimize overlap, supporting and utilizing them in reducing effort where possible.
- Contribute to accountability through blameless, results driven post-mortem processes.
- Mentor and lead junior engineers, raising the bar and contributing to best practices for all engineers.
- Be excellent to others.
- A relevant degree, academic background, or industry experience as a software engineer and scientist.
- Experience with "big data", large scale data storage and ETL processes.
- Very good written and verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Taking feedback well and having the desire to grow both yourself and your team.
- Self-sufficiency and the never-ending drive to build cool shit.
- Working knowledge and experience in current DNN/ML techniques, products and best practices.
- Published papers in data science, machine learning and relevant fields.
TL;DR - You consider yourself to be a good engineer? Give us a call.
While we prefer you to join us in our Santa Monica office, we're always open to applications from exceptional engineers anywhere in the world.
Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
Company paid life insurance, short term and long term disability insurance
401k plan with 4% company matching
Flexible work schedule
Popdog, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.