Lead Engineer - Internal Tools
Los Angeles, California
Popdog – Engineering
Popdog is a technology and services company focused on fixing core problems in the esports and live streaming industry. That means we're building tools meant to power the future of the space, and we're eager to find talented folks (like you!) to join us on this journey.
We've assembled a team of industry leaders, like Loaded, Noscope, and Catalyst Esports, to come together like never before to develop better ways to monetize and stabilize the industries we love. Many of our team were formative to the rise of esports and gaming, and now we're taking all that knowledge and experience to build things that can ensure a future for it.
Popdog is the brainchild of a team who've poured decades of blood, sweat, and tears into ensuring video games are a real future for people around the globe. We work with every game publisher you can think of and brands like ADIDAS, Red Bull, HBO. If you want to be part of an imaginative, data-driven, and self-aware team who are creating things we've never seen, we are your future.
About Engineering at Popdog
Our engineering team is looking for like-minded individuals that love video games, moving fast, breaking things and putting them back together (if this scares you, don't worry, we know the value of running stable production systems and we don't require you to be 8000 MMR in DotA 2.)
We value demonstrated ability. Whether you’ve attained your PhD, attended Hack Reactor or spent your entire youth hacking away on personal projects, we’re a very diverse bunch looking for more team mates with the willpower and drive to build cool shit.
If you’re looking for a chill 9-5 where your ultimate benchmark is the yearly 360 review, it’s unlikely we’ll make you happy right now. But if you’re hungry for real, unadulterated growth and having true impact on not only the product you're building, but also the team you're building it with, we’d like to talk to you.
As the lead engineer for our internal tooling team your primary responsibility will be to gather requirements from business teams, and working on implementing/overseeing the implementation of tools to satisfy their current and future needs.
These needs vary wildly, from slapping together a simple script that scrapes and organizes a small set of data, to implementing robust internal APIs and web clients to have certain things readily available as they are needed.
This position has an inherent overlap with a lot of what other teams already do. As such, you are expected to identify overlap and take ownership of or contribute to parts of our existing infrastructure, where it makes sense. But your team will also have the freedom to act autonomously to satisfy immediate business needs.
We expect you to be a natural leader and champion of your code, with a lot of flexibility and breadth, in order to be able to tackle the wide variety of tooling necessary for some of our internal business units.
- Work closely with all internal stakeholders and the product team to gather requirements and internal needs for tooling.
- Plan and document the entire software lifecycle from draft to delivery and maintenance as internal customer needs develop and change.
- Work with other engineering leads and teams to minimize overlap, supporting and utilizing them in reducing effort where possible.
- Take true ownership in the tools and products your team produces, championing their implementation, adoption and maintenance.
- Be a driving force in our engineering culture. Reviewing code, living operational excellence, delivering quality code.
- Contribute to accountability through blameless, results driven post-mortem processes.
- Mentor and leading junior engineers, raising the bar and contributing to best practices for all engineers.
- Be excellent to others.
- A relevant degree, academic background, or industry experience as a software engineer.
- Demonstrated ability of contributing to high quality, large scale software products.
- Experience in modern, service oriented system architecture.
- Broad knowledge of the full stack. You should be able to trace a problem from a client to the system layer.
- Very good written and verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Taking feedback well and having the desire to grow both yourself and your team.
- Self-sufficiency and the never-ending drive to build cool shit.
- Open source contributions. We love open source and will contribute where we can.
- A love for automation, continuous integration, deployment, testing.
- Deep knowledge of the full stack, from client to system layer.
- Experience in Typescript/ES6+ (Node) and Go.
- Good working knowledge of and experience with a broad spectrum of AWS services.
- Experience with modern practices and technologies such as GraphQL, http/2, gRPC, Protobuf.
TL;DR - You consider yourself to be a good engineer? Give us a call.
While we prefer you to join us in our Santa Monica office, we're always open to applications from exceptional engineers anywhere in the world.
Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
Company paid life insurance, short term and long term disability insurance
401k plan with 4% company matching
Flexible work schedule
Popdog, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.