Managing Director, Performance Improvement // Operations
United States /
Portage Point Partners /
Portage Point is an elite boutique business advisory and financial services firm providing an integrated suite of services across the business and investment lifecycle. We have growing offices in Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles and New York that we are looking to hire within. We are an operationally-oriented and financially-grounded team encompassing a broad range of expertise built to maximize value and align stakeholder interests while guiding clients through the most urgent and complex opportunities and challenges. Our expertise includes transaction advisory services, performance improvement and accelerated transformation, interim management, investment banking and financial restructuring.
We are dedicated to driving meaningful impact for our middle-market clients, bringing curiosity, directness, empathy and excellence to all of our engagements. Named one of the Fastest Growing Consultancy’s by Consulting Magazine in 2020 and 2022, listed on the Inc 5000 in 2021 and 2022 and listed on the Financial Times list of The America’s Fastest Growing Companies 2022, the firm’s growth story and unique value proposition will provide the foundation for accelerated growth in the years ahead.
Portage Point’s Performance Improvement (“PI”) practice supports private equity, direct lenders and corporate clients in the middle market with insights, action planning and implementation to improve business efficiency. Our work supports clients across the business life cycle including new deal value creation, performance enhancement, value recovery and transformation. We get hired time and time again for our speed to impact, tactical action plans and boots-on-the-ground approach.
This practice is currently seeking an exceptional Managing Director to source and lead operations-focused engagements and workstreams across multiple industries. They will be working directly with clients and delivery teams to develop comprehensive solutions to complex operational and financial challenges across the business lifecycle. The role will be instrumental in expanding the PI practice by providing operations subject matter expertise and reinforcing Portage Point’s value proposition of being a full service middle-market advisory firm.
• Providing operations subject matter expertise to client engagements and develop operations service playbooks, proprietary perspective and thought leadership
• Working directly with clients – from board room to shop floor – to develop insights, drive buy-in and be a catalyst for action
• Working with the Portage Point team of Associates to Managing Directors to lead execution of all deliverable workflows within scope, on time and within budget, often across multiple engagements
• Using a hypothesis-based approach to quickly close knowledge gaps, source key data and provide analysis
• Delivering value creation plans with quantum and speed of opportunity capture
• Creating prioritized tactical action plans focused on what needs to be done by whom and when
• Supporting business functions to create and implement new assets, artifacts and governance
• Leading completion of client deliverables and presentations with high-degree of clarity, rigor and attention to detail
• Driving action plans to completion through interim management, project management, direct execution or execution advisory
• Leveraging network and relationships to yield and maintain an active referral base of high-quality opportunities
• Leading and/or contributing to project origination and sales, including developing proposals and pitching to senior executives, private equity firms, lenders, lawyers and other related stakeholders
• Serving in interim leadership roles, including functional line management and CXO
• Provide professional development coaching to junior team members
• Share and manage best practices as well as lead internal trainings where required
• Support recruiting efforts
• Contribute to creating a high-performing and inclusive culture
• Bachelor’s degree from a top undergraduate program
• Located or willing to self relocate to Dallas, Chicago, New York or Los Angeles
• At least 15 years of advisory experience
• Lean Six Sigma (“LSS”) black belt
• Demonstrated expertise in manufacturing, management systems and business process optimization
• Experience building and delivering on operations assessment and implementation playbooks
• Proven ability to build rapport with and influence senior executives, middle managers, line workers, private equity firms, lenders and lawyers and deliver high-value work that exceeds client expectations
• Experience advising clients and making decisions that demonstrate expertise, synthesizing the core drivers of both the clients’ business, situational analyses and the underlying complexity of the situation to maximize value
• Personal network and relationships that yield new PI opportunities and engagements as well as ability to cross-sell complementary service offerings and expand network
• Extensive experience managing other professionals and acting in a manner that serves to motivate, develop and bring out the best in others
• Commitment to out-perform in high pressure, time-constrained environments
• Ability to coach others to develop technical and client facing competence
• Open to frequent travel and work at client sites
$550,000 - $950,000 a year
The City of New York and the State of California require Portage Point to provide compensation information for this role. This range represent the anticipated minimum and maximum base + bonus for this position based upon a good faith and reasonable estimate. The final compensation for this position will be set based on the applicant’s qualifications (education, training and/or experience related to this role), and therefore, may fall outside the range shown, depending on the circumstances.