Lead Full Stack Engineer
San Francisco /
Global trade touches every human life - but very few know about the $2 trillion freight forwarding industry that makes trade possible.
Freight forwarders power this complex industry as brokers in charge of coordinating large shipments of goods. Most interactions between businesses that import and export goods and their chosen freight forwarders occur via spreadsheets, email, PDFs, and even paper, rather than via a centralized platform.
As our first lead engineer, you will help us build a modern shipping platform from the ground up to streamline and automate the freight procurement and payment workflows for the industry.
If we can capture just 3% of this $2 Trillion market, your code commits will revolutionize and bring pricing efficiency to global logistics.
Portex is a new, still-under-the-radar/stealth company. We're backed by prominent VCs including Susa Ventures (notable other portfolio members include Flexport and Robinhood) and strategic angels who have deep industry experience.
It's an excellent time to join because:
- You’ll work as a thought partner directly with the CEO (ex-Flexport, ex-Uber) and our advisory team (ex-Uber, Airbnb, Flexport, KeepTruckin, Heroku).
- You’ll significantly influence the product roadmap as we scale.
- You’ll set best practices and the engineering team culture.
- As our first engineer, you will have a clean field to build everything from scratch.
- If you have the ambition to one day be a founder, this is the perfect role in which to learn exactly what it will take.
Who you are professionally:
- You have 5+ years of professional experience as a software engineer in frontend and backend development.
- You actively coached and mentored team members in your career.
- You have experience with patterns of large, high-scale applications and the ability to lead decisions on architecture.
- You possess a deep understanding of architecting, operating, and scaling cloud-native production systems.
- You have well-reasoned opinions about tradeoffs, testing, code review, and other essential engineering processes.
- You have early-stage SaaS startup engineering experience (preferred).
- You have experience building scalable APIs (Bonus points if with Node.js).
- You understand automating delivery from commit to deploy with DevOps tooling.
- You possess proficient knowledge of best practices for testing and version control.
- You have a passion for creating intuitive user experiences that delight customers.
Who you are personally:
- You like to work in fast-paced environments and wear a lot of hats.
- You have a strong product sense and can build engaging tech for b2b customers.
- You have a passion for problem-solving and navigating ambiguous problem spaces.
- You have an experimental approach and like data-driven decision making.
- You are a proactive team player who desires to positively impact our team, our product, and our customers.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to share/collaborate with peers.
We offer a competitive salary and equity package, additional benefits include:
- Full healthcare benefits.
- Unlimited vacation policy.
- Remote first culture.
- Laptop provided.
- Monthly self-care stipend.
If you have any questions please reach out to email@example.com.