Powerhive, a growing company that provides access to electricity in emerging markets, is seeking a bright, self motivated engineer for our engineering team. The position will be based in our Berkeley, California headquarters but will require extensive travel to Kenya. The Hardware Engineer will be responsible for engineering issues related to Powerhive designed products and installed microgrids. He/she will oversee the deployment, testing, and troubleshooting of Powerhive's technology in the field, including training local partners to install and maintain our hardware. The Hardware Engineer will also develop documentation and other tools to support and automate these processes.
- Engineering support for the full range of Powerhive's mechanical, electrical, and software products.
- Participate in new product design reviews with development team
- Provide new product release and deployment readiness recommendations and train support teams (TSE O&M) for knowledge transfer of new product offerings
- Utilize/modify/create data analysis tools for product status reports and fleet metrics
- Investigate customer complaints, conduct failure analysis (FA), and provide investigation and FA reports
- Work with technical service engineers and O&M technicians to address product issues and be the final subject matter expert for escalations.
- As subject matter expert, improve Powerhive’s support process for better customer satisfaction
- Analyze escalated field issues and troubleshoot/solve product/system problems identified during commissioning or system operation. Involve development team in corrective action plan as needed. Validate effectiveness of solution and train O&M teams for implantation of corrective action
- Work with vendors to address issues related to vendor sourced electrical products
- Provide development teams with recommendations for current and future generation product improvements based on field data or dealer feedback for subsequent product generations
- Review training materials, vendor product change notifications, engineering change notifications, and device guides/installation manuals. Provide content as needed
- Provide management with installed product status reports as needed
- This position is stationed in Berkeley, California.
- This position requires extensive travel to Kenya.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- BS degree in electrical/electronic engineering OR C10/C46 California license
- Ability and proven experience to think creatively, learn quickly, and develop innovative solutions to communication and electrical challenges involved with residential electrical and photovoltaic installations.
- Proven field experience and/or electrical characterization, troubleshooting, and analytical skills.
- Min of 3 years of electrical engineering experience. Experience in PV industry or energy sector is highly desirable.
- Self motivated, with ability to work both independently and with multiple teams
- Strong communication skills – both written and verbal
- Strong customer focused attitude
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve issues involving modern networking technologies including; TCP/IP, Cellular, Wifi
- Experience/familiarity with energy system monitoring and performance analysis
- Understanding of PV theory and residential/commercial/utility AC systems and components
- Use of basic electrical engineering lab/field equipment
- Experience/familiarity with NEC, electric code, certification, and testing standards
- B.S. degree in Engineering and 2-4 years of related experience OR California C10/C46 license OR equivalent combination of education and years of related experience