Back Office Clinic Assistant - Full-Time (37.5 hrs/week) - NE Portland
NE Portland, OR
Patient Services – Clinical/Medical
Planned Parenthood Columbia Willamette (PPCW) is committed to providing, promoting, and protecting access to sexual and reproductive health care in Oregon and Southwest Washington. Since 1963, PPCW has provided a broad range of sexual and reproductive health care, including family planning, preventative care, and other medical services; trained and educated community members on issues of sexuality; and advocated for the protection of reproductive rights and freedom in Oregon and Southwest Washington. Each year, more than 58,000 women, men and teens visit a PPCW health center, located in NE and SE Portland, Milwaukie, Beaverton, Salem, and Bend, Oregon; and Vancouver, Washington.
As a member of our team, we can offer you:
- A supportive atmosphere and collaborative environment
- Organizational emphasis on high-quality practices
- A gratifying personal experience
- Office culture of work/life balance and flexibility
- Amazing employee benefits
Position Summary: The Back Office Clinic Assistant is responsible for providing back office support to providers and patients related to sexual and reproductive health care. This position supports and promotes the mission of Planned Parenthood Columbia Willamette (PPCW) by providing excellent customer service to patients, visitors, and co-workers. PPCW provides confidential and discrete family planning services, including abortions, while maintaining an environment of dignity, trust and respect.
The Back Office Clinic Assistant must have the ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written) with diverse patients and co-workers; must be able to work independently and as part of a team; must have the willingness and ability to adapt to job-related changes; must exhibit excellent customer service skills and be committed to providing the highest level of patient care.
Compensation: Starting rate of pay is $15.61 + depending upon experience. Annual step increases are determined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Bilingual Spanish/English premium pay is another $0.75 per hour, with an additional $1.50 paid for interpreter level skills. Language based premium pay requires passing in-house oral and written exams.
Benefits: PPCW offers up to 4 weeks of paid time off, 8 paid holidays; 403b retirement account with matching; Employee Assistance Program; excellent and low cost Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance; Short and Long Term Disability insurance; Life Insurance; and Flex Spending Accounts for medical, commuting, and dependent care; plus voluntary AD&D, group accident, and hospital indemnity insurance.
Position Details: This is a union represented, hourly (non exempt) position.
Schedule: Full Time (37.5 hours a week). Monday 11:30 - 7:30; Tuesday 9:30 – 5:30; Wednesday 8:30 – 4:30; Thursday 8:30 – 4:30; Friday 9:30 – 5:30.
Location: Northeast Portland Health Center.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Medical Assistant Degree preferred or 2 years equivalent work experience including medical assisting or other related healthcare experience.
- Certified Nursing Assistants, Emergency Medical Technicians, and Certified Phlebotomy Technicians are encouraged to apply.
- Experience with EHR preferred.
- Demonstrated computer literacy with at least 35 WPM and basic knowledge of data entry, using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and the Internet.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred - Ability to pass and in-house oral and written language exam with a minimum score of 85% and perform certain job duties bilingually.
- Assist provider by rooming patients, obtaining vital signs, and performing other tasks as directed.
- Perform phlebotomy, complete lab testing, package specimens, and record lab results.
- Accurately input patient information in EHR.
- Perform independent patient visits, as applicable.
- Participate in all aspects of surgical services, including abortion care and associated lab functions, in the capacity required by the health center’s service mix.
- Communicate with patients regarding PPCW health care recommendations and schedule appointments as directed.
- Clean and sterilize instruments; clean and stock exam rooms.
- Safely handle medical waste, utilizing universal precautions.
- Ensure compliance with all safety policies and procedures, including infection control.
- Participate in health center efforts to achieve goals for productivity and patient wait times.
- Utilize system for collecting and addressing patient complaints.
- Follow all workplace policies, procedures, and practices, including HIPAA, Mandatory reporting, and regulatory requirements.
- Assist in the training of new staff by demonstration, observation and feedback.
- Welcome volunteers into the workplace and answer questions as able.
- Attend trainings and staff meetings, as established schedule allows.
- Ability to work weekend and evening hours per established schedule.
- May be requested on occasion to travel and work at other locations to meet operational need, upon mutual agreement.
- Meet the following physical demands: sitting, walking, standing, bending and twisting of the neck, repetitive movements of one or both hands, and reaching above/below shoulder height up to 8 hours/day; bending and twisting at the waist, squatting, moving items weighing up to 50 pounds up to 4 hours/day; and kneeling up to 2 hours/day.
- Environmental demands: exposure to dust/gas/fumes/steam/chemicals; personal protective equipment required; and potential exposure to infectious materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintain and increase knowledge of PPCW services, protocols, and procedures.
- Assist in maintaining adequate stock of supplies and forms by communicating via the appropriate channels when stock is low. Order replacement stock as applicable
- Participate in health center efforts to achieve revenue cycle goals.
- Accurate coding of diagnostics and service charges.
- Understand and be able to explain funding and insurance options to patients.
We ask that all applicants submit a resume and cover letter. Please submit all documents in compatible file formats, such as Word documents or PDFs. We cannot accept Pages documents or Google Docs links.
If you are viewing this post from a third party site without a direct link, please visit www.ppcw.org/jobs and apply online today!
Planned Parenthood Columbia Willamette is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, genetic information, application for workers’ compensation benefits, use of statutory protected leave, veteran or military status, pregnancy, union activity, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.