Senior Director, Program & Grants Financial Management
Operations – Finance
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) Sr. Director for Program and Grants Financial Management. This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer/Senior Vice President (SVP) in the Finance & Accounting Department of PPFA. The F&A Department strategically manages the finance and accounting functions of the organization providing confidence to all stakeholders in the fiscal and fiduciary responsibility of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Planned Parenthood Action Fund, (PPAF), it’s subsidiaries, PAC, SuperPac and Community Outreach Group, as well as Planned Parenthood Global (PPG) with a commitment to customer service, sound controls, compliance monitoring, and timely, accurate, and complete reporting, analysis and decision support to further the Federation’s mission.
The Sr. Director with the SVP determines the vision, strategy and operations of the program and grants management finance functions for the National Office. S/He advises the National Office's senior management and Board of Directors on controls related to program and grants financial performance reporting specifically monitoring and enforcing the controls over appropriate allocation of costs to donor sources, electoral uses, and other programmatic purposes. S/he directs and manages the day-to-day operations of the budget execution of unrestricted and restricted funding to include budget management, effort reporting, purchasing/buying, and grant management either directly or indirectly through matrix management and ensures compliance with 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4) and for-profit segregation of programs and costs. The Sr. Director supports the PPAF Finance Committee of the Board of Directors. The Sr. Director manages the relationship with outsourced grants management service provider(s).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides leadership to staff including but not limited to course direction, work prioritization and review, monitoring workloads and resolving issues.
- Provides leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization.
- Provides advice and counsel to senior and executive leadership to assist in decision-making as programs are tested and scaled across the organization.
- Oversees the development of grant budgets and ensures compliance with donor requirements.
- With the Sr. Director for Financial Planning and Analysis, and the CFO, sets the annual strategy and methodology for setting budget parameters and processes.
- Leading the Program and Grants Financial Management team in efficient day-to-day operations and recruiting, managing, developing and inspiring a high-quality team to deliver a superior level of performance and productivity.
- Oversees and ensures that spending plans are developed and execution is in accordance with grant requirements and organizational priorities.
- Advancing the quality, timeliness, strategic and tactical value of financial information framed in a way that provides context and analytical support to decision makers, including the leadership team and members of the Board of Directors.
- Preparing the quarterly and annual program and grant financial performance reports for management and Board review and conducting reviews with management to inform course correction and enhance program performance.
- Oversee the outsourced accounting function for PP Global and Community Outreach Group.
- Leading the development and implementation of new policies and procedures, working with consultants, the Controller, the Sr. Director for FP&A, the Managing Director, Compliance & Procurement as well as cross functional team members to ensure the most efficient processes and use of systems while maintaining acceptable internal controls and fiscal integrity.
- Improving the efficiency and impact of key financial management processes such as the procurement and accounts payable cycle and implementing best-in-class management techniques that improve the quality and cost of services and the efficiency with which they are delivered.
- Train program and grants staff in appropriate charging of time and expenses in accordance with donor requirements and IRS reporting rules.
- With the Sr. Director FP&A and Controller prepares quarterly and annual reports for each entity of the National Office (PPFA, Action Fund, and PP Global) and consolidated statements.
- Completes periodic and ad-hoc research, analysis and reporting of the National Office’s programs and grants.
- Works closely with the organization’s Board of Directors, auditors, and consultants for specific projects. Internally: This role works closely with senior management, development staff and financial operations and management staff throughout the organization.
- Special projects as needed.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree required in Accounting or related field and CPA preferred. Advanced degree (MBA) or equivalent relevant experience strongly preferred.
- 8 years of experience in financial management, at least 6 of which has been in the program and grants financial management functions.
- Experience in progressively managing budgets and purchasing in a complex international not-for-profit preferred. Exposure to a federated structure and c3/c4 activity segregation desired.
- Experience in developing and delivering training.
- Expert level of proficiency in finance and accounting systems, business analytical tools, expert knowledge of best practices in management accounting reporting.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to determine application of established practices and procedures, able to tackle problems by using logical, systematic approaches as well as train and coach others in the skill.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Experience building strong teams, organizations and cultures as well as collaborate relationship both internal and external to the organization. Service as a key strategic and business partner to the chief financial officer required.
- Stewardship over the preparation of timely and accurate budget and grants performance reports in accordance with organizational policy and donor requirements.
- Skill that encourages others to seek opportunities for different and innovative approaches, facilitates implementation and acceptance of change.
- Strong research and listening skills and ability to source and identify information; ability to use information as an effective tool to translate program and grant activity into reliable, realistic budgets.
- A commitment to excellence, a service-orientation and demonstrated ability to work comfortably and communicate effectively at all levels to include at the Board level.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Word, Excel, spreadsheets, and databases; familiarity with Internet Systems.
- Highest level of personal and professional integrity.
- 0-25% ( At a minimum, 1 trip per month to NYC and 2-3 international trips to support Planned Parenthood Global financial management activities.)
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.