Director, Strategic Initiatives
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Organizing, Engagement & Campaigns
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood is seeking a strategic, innovative and experienced Director, Strategic Initiatives to drive a comprehensive organizational process to assess and strategize around risks and opportunities related to political outcomes in 2020 and beyond. The goal of post-election scenario planning is to ensure that PPFA, PPAF, and local Planned Parenthood organizations are prepared to maximize the moment (both operationally and programatically) following potential outcomes of the 2020 election. This role will be responsible for driving a process for the national office and local affiliates to do post-election and contingency planning across all facets of the organization, including (but not limited to) healthcare, advocacy, policy, communications, finance, development, safety/security, operations staff and more to ensure we have the highest level of preparedness for all possible scenarios. This is a leadership role within the Policy, Campaigns, and Advocacy Division department with responsibility for managing a range of diverse stakeholders and driving processes to create buy in and alignment with leaders nationally, in partnerships, and at local affiliates. This role has a limited term of 18-24 months.
This position reports to the National Director Strategic Initiatives /// Vice-President of Organizing & Executive Director of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop a comprehensive work plan for the post-election scenarios to ensure that strategies and the resources (financial and staff) to implement them are in place by late Summer 2020;
- Connect the scenario planning work seamlessly to inter-connected ongoing workstreams;
- Identify and assess important crisis and opportunity scenarios -- with attention to PPFA’s unique role to play as a provider, advocate, narrative-driver and movement leader;
- Drive research on the impacts of scenarios with key staff across the organization and outside experts;
- Coordinate the development of comprehensive response plans across the organization;
- Assess and align with scenario planning happening outside of the organization with funders, coalition partners, providers, and more;
- Propose strategies, including convenings and facilitation of scenario planning exercises, to collaborate with all stakeholders, including local staff, local CEO’s, national staff, national executive leadership team, and partner organization leadershipSupervise staff including the Project Manager and consultants for the organization;
- Regularly convene key stakeholders, including Affiliate CEO’s (esp. The ACEC Planning taskforce), National Executive Leadership Team, to select and engage scenarios and to adjust the work plan;
- Develop reports, proposals and memorandums for Affiliate CEO’s, leadership, funders, movement partners and other key stakeholders;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- At least 8 years of professional experience working as a project director, scenario planner, leading an organization, and/or doing similar consulting work;
- Requires a high level of judgement and the ability to take initiative;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Experience and comfort with working with diverse constituencies;
- Ability to identify opportunities for innovation and experimentation, with an analytical assessment of impact;
- Ability to work in partnership and coalition with organizations both nationally and locally;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects, develop work plans, and meet target goals and objectives;
- Demonstrated ability to drive process to engage and senior leadership and reach consensus, even around difficult subjects;
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Desire to work in a fast paced culture of high output, open communication, and unflappable in the face of challenges and/or principled disagreement;
- Collaborative work style and experience working in a federated structure.
- Commitment to gender and racial justice and social justice values. Extensive familiarity with women’s and social justice organizations and actors a plus;
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal employment opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.