State Policy Manager
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – State Policy
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) Government Relations division seeks a dynamic and effective State Policy Manager. Reporting to the National Director of State Policy and Advocacy, the State Policy Manager will manage and drive strategic priorities to impact the ever-changing state legislative landscape with the goal of supporting patients’ ability to access comprehensive reproductive health services. The State Policy Manager will provide policy assistance and project management support for the state legislative work of the Government Relations team. The Government Relations team develops and implements national and state strategies for improved public policy, including federal lobbying, federal administrative advocacy, state public policy initiatives, and support for affiliates
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide sophisticated policy analysis, legal research, and development of related materials, occasionally under quick timelines.
- Drive forward multiple streams of work and high-level projects while ensuring smooth cross-departmental work and collaboration. Responsibilities include project planning and management, meeting facilitation, internal information-sharing and engagement, and overseeing the production of internal communications systems and memos.
- Maintain robust policy portfolio, and legislative tracking, of state-level issues impacting abortion access.
- Develop materials--including presentations, talking points, fact sheets, reports, and memos-- effectively synthesizing policy issues and legal landscape to various internal and external audiences. Review communications materials for accuracy on a variety of policy issues impacting sexual and reproductive health.
- Provide state policy team support by creating, updating, and utilizing tools and resources to propel work forward.
- Develop systems for information sharing and tracking, including clear ways to consistently track and uplift wins and progress toward goals.
- Meaningfully contribute to the implementation of effective, policy strategies by serving as a bridge within the Government Relations team and to other departments and divisions.
- Assist National Director of State Policy and Government Relations department with managing of special projects .
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 3-5 years of directly related, progressively responsible program and policy experience.
- Strong computer skills including word processing, Google Suite, Microsoft Office, etc.
- Experience in sexual and reproductive healthcare policy.
- Experience in state policy directly pertaining to abortion rights, access, and/or delivery strongly preferred.
- Strong understanding of state legislative landscape and processes.
- Highly proficient legal and policy research skills.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Exceptional analytical, research, writing, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, communication and customer service skills.
- Able to work independently, under pressure, prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with multicultural workforce and sensitivity and appreciation of cultural differences.
This position will be based in Washington, DC or New York, NY.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.