Vice President, Communications, Communications and Culture
Communications & Culture – Office of the SVP of Comm
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund seeks a Vice President of Communications for the Communications & Culture Division of PPFA. Reporting to the Senior Vice President, the Vice President for Communications is responsible for developing and executing a proactive national communications and media strategy that advances the organization’s mission and brand. The Vice President is expected to enhance Planned Parenthood’s visibility, image and influence through effective media strategies and to craft the organization’s strategy and overall national message to engage the media, decision makers, the general public, funders, and potential customers of its service.
The division has a multi-million dollar budget and includes 20 staff in traditional health, advocacy, multicultural, and global media and booking who work collaboratively to implement the strategic communications direction of the organization, as well as provide technical assistance and training to Planned Parenthood affiliates across the country. The Vice President should have a strong understanding of advocacy, policy implementation and politics. Experience with sexual and reproductive healthcare is a plus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as a member of the extended management team and with the SVP and the VP for Brand and Culture, to provide the communications strategy for all major initiatives of the federation and work with the other members of the organization’s leadership to craft and execute an effective communications strategy for the organization.
- This individual will provide high-level messaging and research counsel to the leadership of the organization and along with and in support of the SVP, will be a critical management liaison with messaging and research stakeholders.
- Create and implement proactive, federation-wide media and communications strategies to promote Planned Parenthood’s education, service, and advocacy mission to diverse audiences, including the general public as well as the media, political decision makers, and funders.
- Support the Senior Vice President, the President and other Planned Parenthood spokespersons in ways that increase organizational visibility and impact.
- Analyze and incorporate polling and market research into communications strategy for the organization.
- Provide leadership to Planned Parenthood affiliates in developing and implementing national message, media, and public education campaigns to ensure unified messages are presented effectively and consistently to the public on issues of reproductive and sexual health and rights.
- Proactive executive leadership to support crisis communications and rapid response efforts.
- Provide support for consistency of messaging to other Planned Parenthood national office divisions and affiliated organizations. This includes collaboration with the Policy, Campaigns, and Advocacy division to maximize impact in the public policy and political arena; collaboration with Development division to ensure consistent messaging to donors and to generate financial support for the organization; coordination with affiliate communications.
- Manage and help develop a team of senior, mid-level and junior level professional communicators to ensure continued growth in impact and effectiveness.
- Manage divisional budget, with support from the office of the Senior Vice President, to ensure fiscal responsibility and spending that drives key performance indicators.
- Serve as primary and/or team member on critical Communications & Culture and PPFA projects.
- Represent and be a decision-maker within scope for Communications & Culture in cross-division meetings.
- Regularly interact with senior management staff, senior consultants, affiliates and other department and program senior staff.
- Special projects as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Proven ability to communicate to multiple audiences; need to communicate effectively and simultaneously to multiple audiences, including the media, policy makers, and broader engagement with supporters and the general public.
- Fluency in integrated communications and marketing strategies including: all forms of media and marketing, traditional print media, digital and online media, and how to integrate these strategies with traditional marketing efforts.
- Strength in leading research efforts, with the ability to develop messages that promote public awareness of the need to defend women’s access to both abortion and contraceptives and build constituencies for PPFA, along with the ability to make informed decisions on the most appropriate and effective spokesperson and forum for those messages.
- Strong Manager of Talented & Diverse Team with demonstrated ability to manage, mentor and develop a talented and diverse team of staff.
- A record of success in a senior level communications position in the government, not-for-profit or private sector.
- Direct and substantial experience involving message strategy and development on a national scale.
- A record of success creating and implementing communications strategies for a large, complex organization.
- Successful experience in a difficult, hard-hitting public policy or health care marketing campaign.
- A record of recruiting and developing a diverse and talented communications staff. A person who places a high priority on the professional development of staff through delegation of responsibility and expert tutelage.
- Significant successful experience dealing with the national media.
- Proven ability to manage and prioritize a multi-million dollar communications budget with many outside vendors and internal projects.
- Extraordinary writing and editing skills and demonstrated ability to handle controversial issues and to translate information about them to broad audiences.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully leading projects, developing research and analysis plans, and writing reports in a clear and cogent manner.
- Demonstrated experience at integrating communications strategy into the fabric of the organization and effectively reaching and influencing intended audiences.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Superb interpersonal and leadership skills with an impressive history of forging strong relationships with multiple stakeholders.
- Familiarity with managing the culture of a complex, multi-tiered and global organization and organizational change.
- 0%-25% Travel Required
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal employment opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.