Regional Campaign Director
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Organizing, Engagement & Campaigns
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Regional Campaigns Director, to will work with in-state Planned Parenthood affiliates and advocacy and political organizations to advance a shared agenda, collaborate with internal and external partners, and partner with affiliate colleagues to employ campaign models for achieving policy, electoral and power building goals. Reporting to the State Campaigns Director, this position develops and implements strategic campaign plans to build political power and win campaigns to protect and expand access to healthcare.
Working for the Planned Parenthood national office and based in the states to partner at the senior level of affiliate leadership, RCDs develop, execute and amplify action-based campaign plans. Campaigns within the RCD’s designated region combat national attacks on Planned Parenthood from state legislatures, from Congress, from the new administration and other hostile entities. Working across departments within national office leadership, the RCD builds relationships, identifies strategic opportunities for growth and advocacy, and serves as a high-level strategic consultant and expert for political advocacy to their affiliates and within their region.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build the capacity of affiliates to influence community and statewide policy and participate in federal campaigns to defend reproductive health care.
- Lead collaboration between affiliate and PPFA departments (including but not limited to Communications, Digital Advocacy, Strategic Partnerships, Government Relations) that can support efforts to build capacity and community engagement. Build consensus among partners and affiliates to develop and conduct multi-year campaigns to influence state and federal policy goals. Adapt PPFA resources (technical assistance, training, coaching, grant support) for local, state, and regional use and influence.
- Serve as critical link between PPFA and local affiliates to leverage national resources for affiliates’ public affairs and to keep the national organization engaged on affiliate public affairs priorities, needs and activities.
- Conduct strategic planning with Planned Parenthood affiliates and related advocacy and political organizations to create conditions that would support an expanded Planned Parenthood health care footprint, ambitious goals for supporter growth, public policy accomplishments and the advocacy and political organizations’ electoral victories.
- Provide direct campaign support and management, rapid response assistance and crisis management to affiliates.
- Manage additional PPFA staff to help achieve the strategic plan’s goals as needed.
- Understand affiliate/partner organizational capacity, assess resource needs, and recommend campaign and capacity grant needs.
- Work with affiliate/partner organizations to identify shared PPFA/affiliate goals, develop written plans, and secure agreement to identified deliverables.
- Ensure the successful implementation of the strategic plan by providing campaign and organizing expertise and technical support, skills training and management, provide on the ground assistance and implementing the plan directly, if called upon.
- Connecting the affiliate to appropriate national office resources.
- Assist in the development of affiliate staffs’ campaign skills including formal and informal training in Leadership development, Campaign and electoral program management, Supporter mobilization and activation, Staff management and development, Message development.
- Assist in the development and on-site facilitation of national meetings including national trainings, conferences and events throughout the country.
- Maintain current and accurate files, track affiliate activity to provide regular reports, monitor work-related financial expenditures.
- Travel throughout region and to national meetings/conferences.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 5 years of related advocacy and electoral campaign experience in organizing and management. Experience executing issue and electoral campaigns.
- Impeccable judgement. Strength in managing conflict and crisis.
- Must be able to work effectively with leaders from associated affiliates in region. A track record of creating and maintaining strong work relationships with a diverse set of colleagues is required.
- Must be able to motivate and lead teammates and colleagues who are not direct reports.
- Strong commitment to meeting deadlines and showing progress towards goals.
- Experience as a grassroots organizer; proficiency in strategic consulting, advising, and training others in strategy and grassroots activities.
- Proficient trainer and communicator and possess assessment and analytical skills that allow effective coaching and strategic consulting.
- Ability to identify priorities, work independently and develop tactics for addressing issues or requests and extensive knowledge of public policies at the state and federal level.
- Curiosity around new ways of organizing, using data, and building infrastructure for a long-term movement.
- Ability to collaborate and secure agreements from colleagues.
- Experience creating and maintaining strong work relationships with a diverse set of colleagues.
- Ability to travel extensively to support specific, time-limited campaigns.
- Must be willing and able to work extended hours as needed.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Passionate about the mission of Planned Parenthood and the role of health provision and advocacy.
- Working knowledge of voter databases (VAN) is preferred.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Discretion and diplomacy is a must.
- This position will need to respond to the needs of a fast-paced operation.
- Work as a team player in a high-pressure work environment.
- Self-starter with a high level of creative initiative.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.