Chief Healthcare Officer
Multiple locations /
Office of the Executive Vice President, Health Care (HCD) – Health Care Administration /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
For more than a century, Planned Parenthood has been one of the nation's leading providers of
high- quality, affordable health care for people in the U.S. and the largest educator of sexual
health in the nation. Planned Parenthood believes in the fundamental right of people throughout
the world to manage their reproductive health, regardless of income, marital status, race,
ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, or residence.
Respect, inclusion and diversity in all aspects of the organization are essential to delivering on
the commitment of Care No Matter What.
Planned Parenthood comprises 49 independent affiliate member organizations, operating under
the Planned Parenthood brand with a presence in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) serves as the national office of Planned
Parenthood and provides support for Planned Parenthood affiliates across the country in the
delivery of care. The affiliates operate over 600 health centers that provide care for over 2 million
people annually. PPFA’s international arm, Planned Parenthood Global, supports the educational
efforts and health care delivery of partner organizations in twelve countries across Africa and
PPFA works to expand access to care - from pioneering research on self-injectable birth control to
offering new services for transgender patients, as well as making telehealth services, including
medical abortion, available to patients across the country. The organization is leveraging
technology, including a relaunched website and a number of other digital properties where, every
single day, more than 200,000 people on average are getting accurate, reliable sexual and
reproductive health information.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is looking for a dynamic and creative
Chief Healthcare Officer with a commitment and passion for sexual and reproductive health
care (SRH). This new executive will lead the design of how they will achieve the brand
commitment of providing Care No Matter What using the current market disruption to traditional
delivery channels and the intensified effort to limit access as inspiration to re-imagine SRH
delivery in partnership with affiliates in this new decade. The CHO reports to the President &
CEO, Planned Parenthood Federation of America & Planned Parenthood Action Fund. Under her
direction, the CHO will focus much of their time with affiliate executive leadership, including chief executive officers and their medical directors as well as with public health thought leaders. The
CHO will oversee teams responsible for Medical Services, Standards & Guidelines, Consortium
of Abortion Providers (CAPS), Health Care Operations, Patient Experience, Clinical Quality
Improvement and Health Equity.
The Chief Healthcare Officer (CHO) will be responsible for increasing Planned Parenthood’s
healthcare delivery effectiveness and capacity by capitalizing on Planned Parenthood’s role as
the leader in SRH and health equity. The CHO will identify and communicate Planned
Parenthood’s impact in the public health sector by building relationships with key stakeholders
while ensuring equitable access to care. The position will demonstrate PP’s value to payers and
to patients. The CHO is the leader of quality medical care delivery, operations and experience
within the Planned Parenthood Federation.
The CHO is a clinical and organizational leader providing strategic direction to advance Planned
Parenthood’s position as a leading provider of sexual and reproductive health (SRH) services and
a public health powerhouse. This position partners with the Medical Directors across the U.S. to
ensure that affiliates receive access to the appropriate clinical expertise to adopt innovative and
transformative models of delivering care to the patients they serve, while centering equitable
access and delivery of high quality affordable health care; this means designing care delivery
pathways that respect the multitude of life experiences the Planned Parenthood patient brings
with them to the point of care. The CHO leads with influence in a federated structure, grounded in
personal clinical gravitas and will represent Planned Parenthood externally as a healthcare
provider expert and transformative change leader who will deepen the impact and expand
PPFA’s reach to serve more patients while being very comfortable leading with empathy, as a
complement to direct responsibility for healthcare division.
- The Chief Healthcare Officer (CHO) will have a broad set of responsibilities that will encompass the following:
- A strong vision for Planned Parenthood’s leadership role in public healthcare and the ability to define and implement compelling ideas to build healthcare resiliency in an environment of near-constant threats to access, rights, and choice, and an evolving healthcare ecosystem.
- A strong clinical and public health and equity perspective by contributing to Planned Parenthood’s SRH strategy as a member of the Executive Leadership Team. Consult internally on matters of clinical care, including medical standards and practices and externally, by participating in the public health conversation around public health and the inviolable rights protecting access to sexual and reproductive healthcare.
- Transformational plans for the Planned Parenthood healthcare portfolio to include innovative and future-focused solutions to delivering care, including but not limited to, expanding our telehealth capacity with the goal of expanding our reach to attract more patients balanced with affiliate provider capacity to treat more patients.
- Center patient health and care experience and health equity considerations to address disparate health outcomes in communities where access via telehealth is compromised or denied and because of systemic bias and discrimination these patients remain on the margins.
- Lead change management efforts to foster innovation in healthcare delivery across the federation by championing top research priorities to help identify specific actions which will result in better healthcare outcomes on our current and new patient population. Leverage data to define, assess and measure medical problems and probable solutions, such as strategies for improving maternal morbidity in the United States, which continues to be a core public health issue, more severely affecting Black women and other minority groups.
- Be a leader of leaders by standing for the Values and Service Standards and also leading by example with accountability, empathy, vulnerability, and unbridled optimism; ensure a growth mindset throughout the division.
- Improve healthcare collaboration within the Federation, including but not limited to CHN, Stronger, and the Affiliate Risk Management Services (ARMS).
- Partner with the Senior Vice President of Communications & Culture to continuously deliver strong, cohesive and consistent healthcare brand positioning as the in-house clinical expert and reach a broad spectrum of audiences, through media, speaking engagements, conferences and events.
- Partner with the Senior Vice President of Policy, Campaigns and Advocacy to ensure Planned Parenthood is creating the conditions that are conducive to the organization’s position as the leading sexual and reproductive health care provider within the broader healthcare delivery, insurance, policy and payer ecosystems.
- Partner with the Chief Technology Officer to develop a national strategy that leverages technology in the delivery of care and education in the virtual space.
- Engage in funding outreach and grant opportunities in partnership with the Chief Development Officer, to further Planned Parenthood’s mission.
- Identify opportunities for programmatic collaboration and nurture relationships with other peer organizations providing SRH services. Convene, chair and facilitate small and large groups of peer organizations, particularly those that engage minority women, young persons, and people in the medical field.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 10 years previous experience leading health outcomes improvement initiatives, leveraging expertise in measurement in healthcare settings, systems improvement models, and unorthodox approaches to clinical transformation efforts preferably in more than one organization
- Experience with enterprise/matrixed leadership; ability to lead through influence; wielder of informal power; confident in bringing antithetical points of view together
- Dynamic, creative, strong leader, charismatic with a commitment to sexual reproductive health
- Comfortable with ambiguity and how to manage challenging and multiple stakeholders
- Has a strong understanding of healthcare operations (service delivery operations and workflows)
- Leverages data to inform strategies and tactics & interrogates the existing data and the technologies to gather it
- Can put their genuine curiosity about how PPFA’s work benefits their patients/community into a health equity strategy that creates a better, more positive care experience for marginalized patient communities
- Expert, up-to-date medical knowledge, particularly in areas of sexual and reproductive healthcare, clinical research and literature, legal & malpractice issues and knowledge of the latest medical technology
- Unstoppable in the face of adversity, with an ability to consistently drive change within a Federated structure that is focused on all the pillars of the mission: care, advocacy and education; paired with the patience to understand that not all demands are equal
- TRAVEL: Will depend on the environmental situation with COVID-19. We anticipate travel not to exceed 25%.
- Doctorate of Nursing Practice (DNP), Physician Assistant (PA), and Nurse Practitioner (NP) all preferred for this role. An MD is also welcomed but not required to be considered.
- Dual degree in health care administration, MBA, or public policy strongly encouraged.
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer