Senior Specialist, Abortion Equity and Clinical Training, CAPS
Office of the Executive Vice President, Health Care (HCD) – CAPS /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The Senior Specialist, Abortion Equity and Clinical Training, CAPS is a visionary, enthusiastic, and skilled individual who assists in providing training and technical assistance to Planned Parenthood affiliates in the areas of abortion equity, particularly racial equity, and training that supports the work of affiliate staff who work in abortion service delivery This position will provide assistance to abortion service delivery field-based activities designed to increase the understanding and skills of a wide range of staff working in abortion care, particularly healthcare assistants, but not exclusive of nurses, advanced practice clinicians, and physicians. Assistance provided to the affiliate abortion program will be build on mulitcultural compentices, with a lens in diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) psychosocial support for patients, coworkers, and self; and customer service. The Senior Specialist is responsible for analyzing CAPS Clinical Service Delivery tools, training, and systems to ensure they are guided by an equity lens, to promote equitable and inclusive best practices in these areas.
This is a one year, grant-funded position. The Senior Specialist, Abortion Equity and Clinical Training will assist in developing and delivering vital training intended to support rapid abortion service expansion in areas where surge volume is anticipated should the legal landscape change.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with CAPS Clinical Service Delivery Team in development of, and deliver, curricula for rapid hire and training of support staff in PPFA affiliate abortion training programs, with a focus on content intended to be delivered online, in a manner consistent with adult learning.
- Assist in training and technical assistance to PPFA affiliates on multiple aspects of supporting the delivery of abortion care, including values clarification, abortion stigma mitigation, and customer service.
- Support the development of strategies for affiliates to deliver inclusive and equity-centered abortion staff training and care delivery.
- Collaborate with affiliate abortion program leaders and CAPS Clinical Service Delivery team to create frameworks s for expanding abortion access through a DEI lens.
- Provide mentoring for affiliate staff in providing patient-centered care, particularly through the lens of racial equity, on a continuous basis.
- Work with CAPS Clinical Service Delivery team and other PPFA HCD partners to develop standardized materials for patient education and informed consent
- Participate in planning, coordination, and training at CAPS Abortion School twice a year.
- Review and update training materials, including those used for on-site affiliate training and also ones that may be distributed to affiliates for orientation in various clinical areas.
- Keep abreast of current research, access, and social justice issues related to abortion provision.
- Keep current with the PPFA Accreditation Indicators and Elements of Performance (EOP’s) and Medical Standards and Guidelines (MS&Gs) in order to help affiliates meet these standards and to be consistent with other departments at PPFA in guidance provided to affiliates.
- Identify best practices in clinical service delivery, both through internal and external learning and investigation and translate these best practices to affiliates in appropriate learning formats.
Internal and Inter-Departmental
- Collaborate with other PPFA departments on abortion related e-learning projects.
- Serve as knowledge resource on abortion related issues for affiliate staff, other PPFA divisions, and partner organizations. Participate in abortion related task forces and work groups.
- Provide ongoing consultation in the areas of abortion equity and access to other departments within PPFA and partner organizations.
- Work with other CAPS team members and PPFA staff to analyze information from survey results, data reports, and observed practices and assist in development of strategies to build practice improvement.
- Assist with the development of ACCME accredited material in conjunction with Planned Parenthood work groups on abortion-related topics and maintain CEU documentation.
- Develop and deliver presentations at national conferences and other meetings as needed.
- Carry out other assignments or special projects as assigned and required.
- May oversee work of vendors, consultants or outside contractors to assure work meets deadlines and quality standards.
- Strong verbal, writing, presentation, and training skills
- Knowledge of core diversity, equity, and inclusion concepts such as power and privilege, emotional intelligence and implicit bias
- Familiarity and comfort with utilizing virtual training platforms to make connections and communicate skillfully with audiences. Skilled in small and large group dynamics and able to work effectively in both large and small diversely skilled and/or experienced groups.
- 3-5 years experience in a health care or related setting with sexual and reproductive healthcare or abortion services required. Minimum of three years working at a PPFA affiliate or equivalent education in health promotion for individuals, groups, and communities is desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to build strong and effective partnerships with both internal and external stakeholders. Good assessment and diplomatic skills to manage challenges as they occur
- Experience leading and facilitating conversations related to diversity, equity, and inclusion in a professional setting
- Able to coordinate logistics and budget implementation of conference-style events with diverse audiences
- Up to 50% travel, including national conferences and meetings.
Starting Salary: 70k
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer