Associate Director, Clinical Training and Curriculum Development, CAPS
Health Care – CAPS
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The Associate Director, Clinical Training and Curriculum Development, CAPS is a visionary, enthusiastic and skilled individual who provides strategic training and technical assistance to Planned Parenthood affiliates. This position will provide direction and oversight to abortion service delivery field-based activities designed to increase the understanding and skills of a wide range of staff working in abortion care, particularly healthcare assistants, but not exclusive of RNs, advanced practice clinicians, and physicians. Expertise provided to affiliate abortion program are in the areas of clinical productivity, practice management, and customer service, and the Associate Director is responsible for development of tools, trainings, and systems to promote best practices in these areas.
This is a one year, grant-funded position. The Associate Director, Clinical Training and Curriculum Development will assist in developing and delivering vital on-site and remote training intended to support rapid abortion service expansion in areas where surge volume is anticipated should the legal landscape change.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide training, technical assistance and consulting to PPFA affiliates on all aspects of supporting the delivery of abortion care, including medication and surgical abortion, service expansion, values clarification, abortion stigma mitigation, education and consent, contraceptive counseling in the context of abortion visits, miscarriage management, analgesia and conscious sedation for surgery, emergency drill preparation, gestational ultrasound dating, in-house Rh testing, etc.
- Consult with affiliate management to plan appropriate phased training to introduce new or expanded services.
- Provide mentoring for affiliate staff on a continuous basis.
- Work with CAPS Director of Clinical Service Delivery to develop standardized materials for patient education and informed consent
- Consult with affiliates about abortion services in areas of medical safety, clinical training, overall quality of services and efficiency
- Participate in planning, coordination, and training at CAPS Abortion School twice a year.
- Develop and update training materials, including those used for on-site affiliate training and also ones that may be distributed to affiliates for orientation in various clinical areas.
- Serve as a resource to affiliates in the development of training curriculum.
- Keep abreast of medical literature, resources and techniques in the field of abortion provision.
- Keep current with the PPFA Accreditation Indicators and Elements of Performance (EOP’s) and Medical Standards and Guidelines (MS&G’s) in order to help affiliates meet these standards and to be consistent with other departments at PPFA in guidance provided to affiliates.
- Identify best practices, both through internal and external learning and investigation and translates these best practices to affiliates in appropriate learning formats.
- Collaborate with other PPFA departments on abortion related e-learning projects.
- Serve as knowledge resource on abortion related issues for affiliate staff, other PPFA divisions, and partner organizations. Participate in abortion related task forces and work groups.
- Provide ongoing consultation to other departments within PPFA and partner organizations.
- Work with other CAPS team members and PPFA staff to analyze information from survey results, data reports, and observed practices and develop strategies to build practice improvement.
- Assist with the development of ACCME accredited material in conjunction with Planned Parenthood work groups on abortion-related topics and maintain CEU documentation.
- Develop and deliver presentations at national conferences and other meetings as needed.
- Carry out other assignments or special projects as assigned and required.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 3-5 years experience in a health care or related setting with women’s reproductive healthcare or abortions services required. Minimum of three years working at a PPFA affiliate is desirable.
- Experience in education and training curriculum development and training implementation and training evaluation strongly preferred.
- Experience in administration of Planned Parenthood or other abortion service strongly preferred: knowledge of regulatory requirements, scope of practice , quality improvement, PPFA Medical Standards and Guidelines, and medical community standards.
- Able to research, write, develop and evaluate curriculum and resources.
- Skilled in small and large group dynamics and able to work effectively in both large and small diversely skilled and/or experienced groups.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Excellent verbal and writing skills.
- Strong presentation and training skills.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee the work of others.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to build strong and effective partnerships with both internal and external stakeholders. Good assessment and diplomatic skills to manage challenges as they occur
- Gravitas paired with the professional integrity and ambition to effectively represent Planned Parenthood.
Please Note: This is a grant-funded job. Continuation of the job after 1-year is contingent on additional funding
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal employment opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.