Director, Philanthropic Communications
New York, NY
Development – Foundations Relations & Donor Communications
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund seeks an experienced, dynamic professional to serve as its Director, Philanthropic Communications, a key leadership position in the Foundations and Donor Communications department which provides a full range of donor facing materials and communication resources for the division.This job reports to the Vice President, Affiliate Resources & Leadership Engagement within the Development Division’s Chief Development Office of PPFA.
Purpose: The Director, Philanthropic Communications, in the Foundation Relations and Donor Communications team, serves as a key leader within the Development Division, and is responsible for overseeing the strategy for and development of cultivation and stewardship materials and experiences for major donors and prospects, as well as other supporters, including mid-level donors and planned giving donors and prospects. The Director oversees a staff of four professional writers, editors, and graphic designers and is responsible for the development of high-quality, timely, and inspiring communications that demonstrate the need for and impact of donor support. This position prioritizes, assigns, and reviews all projects produced by the team; shapes donor messaging and ensures it is accurate and in keeping with organizational branding guidelines; serves as the primary Development liaison for the Communications and Creative teams; and provides Development-wide messaging guidance and quality control.
- Supervise a team of four writers, editors, and graphic designers to develop and design communications materials and experiences that educate, cultivate, solicit, and steward Planned Parenthood’s principal and major gift donors and prospects, as well as other donors — contributing to a lasting and meaningful relationship between the organization and its supporters.
- Field incoming project requests, make assignments across the team, manage project timelines and development, and assume responsibility for the approach and final product related to the packaging, design, and content of all materials.
- Lead rapid response messaging for the principal and major gifts audience, contextualizing Planned Parenthood programs for supporters and ensuring that gift officers are empowered with the messaging tools they need to maintain and deepen their donor relationships.
- Partner closely with the Donor Relations and Stewardship team and drive strategy and content for stewardship events, donor briefing calls, and other donor events.
- Oversee the creation of cultivation and stewardship materials for the growing programs of Planned Parenthood Action Fund and Planned Parenthood Votes, including fundraising cases, program reports, and ongoing gift officer resources.
- In partnership with fundraising directors, build out and support donor-centered communications for a variety of fundraising programs, including principal and major gifts, mid-level giving, direct marketing, planned giving, and foundation relations.
- Oversee scripting for Development staff and volunteer leaders for donor events.
- Conceptualize and oversee the production of videos to engage and steward donors.
- Lead crisis communications response for Development across the national office and affiliates.
- With the Philanthropic Communication staff, serve as primary Development liaison for the Communications and Creative teams, joining team meetings, communicating Development priorities, ensuring a donor lens is applied to their work, and sharing back their priorities with Development.
- Lead in the creation of a consistent and accurately-informed donor experience by serving as the Development authority in organizational messaging and branding.
- Evaluate communications impact for donor audiences.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Strongly committed to the mission of Planned Parenthood.
- Unflappable in times of crisis and high stress.
- Ability to function effectively as a team player.
- Experience or interest in advocacy, politics, and/or the media desirable.
- Ability to work after normal business hours as necessary to successfully meet the demands of this role.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES (KSAs)
- 8+ years related experience with increasing responsibility, in development for a nonprofit organization, preferred.
- College degree required.
- Excellent writing, editing, and project management skills.
- Ability to express complex program content with a donor audience in mind.
- Strong background of working with and ideally managing graphic designers, including providing art direction and ensuring brand compliance.
- Strong attention to detail and a keen visual eye.
- Self-starter with a willingness to take initiative and proactively identify, solve, and prevent problems.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically, connecting the dots between people, teams, projects, and priorities.
- Ability to effectively multi-task, prioritize, delegate, and manage assignments.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Effective, collegial, diplomatic communicator who can collaborate with staff at all levels and build key relationships across the organization.
- Experienced manager with a track record of mentoring staff and an ability to provide constructive feedback.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal employment opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.