Director, Latino Leadership & Engagement
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Public Policy
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Director of Latino Leadership and Engagement to strengthen their relationship with Latino communities, locally and nationally. This person would support the National Director of Strategic Partnerships to promote policy, advocacy, and political goals while elevating the voices and issues that are prominent within communities of color to ensure we fight for the civil rights of all communities. The Director of Latino Leadership and Engagement will collaborate across departments, work with affiliate colleagues, and internal and external partners to strengthen and grow Latino engagement.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work in close partnership with the Director of Strategic partnerships to liaise with organizational stakeholders in relationships to Latino community related issue areas and work.
- Strengthen relationships with key external Latino partners, including organizations, policymakers and other leaders who share PPFA's commitment to advancing the health and well-being of Latinos and their families.
- Play a key role in the development and execution of PPFA’s five-year strategy for engaging Latino communities across the United States in pursuit of PPFA’s strategic vision and goals and that elevates and engages the community in Planned Parenthood’s public policy and campaign priorities.
- Brings an intersectional analysis and the ability to position and communicate about Latino health, rights and justice issues within a larger progressive framework.
- Act as a strategic advisor and consultant to other PPFA departments and divisions on the most effective ways to make use of organizational resources in order to create the most impactful outcomes for Latino communities including advancing policies, organizing tactics, communications strategies and public awareness campaigns that address pressing issues in the Latino community.
- Provide technical support to Regional Campaigns Directors and Planned Parenthood Affiliates in developing programs to broaden the base of support in Latino communities.
- Work with Planned Parenthood brand and marketing team in the creation of branded materials that appeal to Latino communities; ensure that the process and outputs define who we are, what people can expect, highlight the value of Planned Parenthood as a health care provider, an educator and a social justice advocate.
- Work with the Organizing and Electoral Campaigns team and the Communications division on identifying political opportunities and plans for on the-ground electoral work.
- Strategically engage Latinos as patients, advocates, staff and supporters.
- Organize the development of Latino leaders within the Planned Parenthood network, including management of the Latino Task Force, a group of senior affiliate Latino staff, Latino board members and a Latino Strategy Table, an informal working group to coordinate Latino constituency-related work across the organization.
- Serve as an expert national spokesperson on Latino sexual and reproductive health through media interviews, development of articles and op-eds, guidance on digital content and voice, and speaking engagements at local and national conferences and other events.
- Participate with President, senior staff, and development staff and others to raise funds for ongoing program support and expanded outreach initiatives.
- Monitor budget and work progress; establish measurable benchmarks and outcomes.
- Special projects as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 5 years of directly related, progressively responsible program management experience.
- Experience serving as a leader within the Latino community on the national, regional or local levels.
- Demonstrated ability, ambition and vision to continue to strengthen PPFA's role within the Latino policy and political communities and as an essential community health provider in Latino communities across the country.
- Working knowledge and understanding of reproductive health issues and knowledge of national news media and related U.S. political and governmental processes, including legislative and policy issues.
- Experience in public policy, advocacy, organizing or communications with a proven track record of establishing strategic external partnerships, dynamic public speaking and visionary leadership.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Excellent communications skills, including comfort and ease with public speaking, the ability to work in teams and independently, manage competing priorities, and strong conflict resolution skills.
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills, including an ability to communicate with colleagues who are unfamiliar with diverse constituency-building programs.
- Self-starter with a high level of creative initiative.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines, often in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in a mission-driven, not-for-profit organization (a plus).
- Ability to speak and write in Spanish preferred.
- Sense of humor.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.