Director, Data Governance
Office of the Executive Vice President, Health Care (HCD) – Data Strategy, Analytics & Gov. /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund seeks a dynamic and collaborative Director, Data Governance. This job reports to the Sr. Director, Data Strategy & Governance in the Data Strategy, Analytics, and Governance (DSAG) department at PPFA. TheDSAG team enables data-driven decision making through high quality data, analysis, and tools.
- The Director contributes to Planned Parenthood’s mission by spearheading the data governance program to improve the management and quality of data collected by PPFA. As a member of PPFA’s DSAG team, the Director will establish a data governance framework for data policies, standards, and practices and establish a supporting quality assurance (QA) program. This will include development of robust documentation around data handling, analysis, reporting, and tools, including internal policies/procedures and end-user documentation. The Director will also be responsible for the front-end administration of a large enterprise instance of Tableau Server. As a systems thinker, the Director will be able to understand, create, and improve interdependent processes that relate to data. They will establish strong relationships with partners and provide exemplary customer service.
- Manage the PPFA data governance workstream and supporting activities
- Develop and maintain robust internal and external documentation around data handling, analysis, reporting, and tools, including policies and procedures and high-quality documentation
- Collaborate with the Senior Director, Data Strategy & Governance, to convene a Data Governance Committee
- Drive alignment of data definitions and practices and establish data sharing agreements
- Build data standards that support the development of highly reliable data
- Develop, lead, monitor, and participate in quality assurance (QA) processes to ensure data products are high quality
- Serve as a point of escalation for governance and data quality issues and work closely with DSAG team and Federation data stakeholders to improve the quality and value of key data assets
- Collaborate with the Director, Database Administration to develop, test, and implement mature data collection processes (ETL, data warehousing) to streamline data acquisition to improve efficiency and quality
- Manage front-end administration of a large enterprise instance of Tableau Server, including process definition and documentation
- Consult with PPFA national office departments and Planned Parenthood affiliates on data management and governance to inform programmatic and business needs; provide subject matter expertise and technical assistance to improve data management and governance practices
- Draft and deliver reports/presentations to Planned Parenthood national office departments and affiliate organizations
- Document and review data products and systems: author/edit/review wiki articles and internal process documents; develop user-facing guides (written and video)
- Effectively manage program/project files (organize, archive) in alignment with DSAG’s knowledge management practices
- Demonstrate intercultural competence and ensure all work products consider the impacts of the work on multiple communities, including communities of color and individuals with different gender identities and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Pursue relevant proficiencies/certifications where determined by business needs
- Perform other duties as assigned
- The Director supports a broad portfolio of programs/projects, and the role requires strong interpersonal skills and enthusiasm for helping others collect, leverage, manage, and govern data. The Director will consult regularly with end-users at the PPFA National Office and Planned Parenthood affiliates on data management/governance topics and provide ongoing technical support and education on data governance/management tools and best practices.
- The position requires keen attention to detail, excellent writing skills, and a passion for producing documentation. The Director must also have a keen ability and desire to communicate, including attending and presenting at cross-divisional meetings/webinars. Due to the consultative nature of the role, the Director must have exemplary customer service skills, a positive “can do” attitude, and a demonstrated track record directly helping people design and implement data products and systems. The Director will have familiarity and experience working with the population Planned Parenthood serves, including people of different racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, people with different gender identities and individuals with disabilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- At least 7 years of experience in healthcare analysis/business intelligence, public health, statistics, or related area required
- At least 5 years of experience in data management and governance
- Experience developing written technical documentation required, including data governance frameworks, policy/procedure documentation, and end-user definitions/documentation required
- Strong understanding of data management practices and master data management required
- Strong understanding of databases, data warehousing, and data structures required
- Direct experience with Tableau Server administration/governance or similar experience administering BI tool at scale required
- Tableau Server administrator certification, or willingness to become certified within three months of date of hire, required
- Advanced Microsoft Excel proficiency required
- Proficiency with G-Suite and Microsoft Office suite required; experience with Asana or similar project management tool strongly preferred
- Experience in disaggregating data and considering the impacts on multiple communities, including communities of color, in technical analysis preferred
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills with keen attention to detail and grammar (English fluency) required; ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments required
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to different racial/ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, and people with different gender identities, cultural differences and disabilities
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred; combination of professional experience and skills may be considered in lieu of formal/traditional education
- 0-25% (domestic)
Starting Salary: 110k
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer