Health Media Press Officer
New York, NY
Communications & Culture – Media
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The Communications and Culture Division of Planned Parenthood Federation of America seeks a Health Media Press Officer. Reporting to the Associate Director of Health Media, they will work to elevate Planned Parenthood’s work in sexual and reproductive health and sex education in the public eye and build Planned Parenthood’s profile through media visibility, outreach to influencers, and placement of spokespeople in relevant outlets and spaces.
Working with colleagues in the national and affiliate organizations, the Health Media Press Officer will help create innovative content and campaigns to support Planned Parenthood initiatives and engage supporters. This role will work closely with Planned Parenthood affiliates to identify opportunities to advance PPFA health care and education goals in the media and through digital channels, and will think strategically and creatively about how Planned Parenthood uses media tactics to promote its health and education goals through news outlets and digital channels.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement media strategies to advance Planned Parenthood’s health care, education, and culture change goals, including in traditional media and through digital outreach and engagement.
- Draft press releases, statements, op-eds, internal memos, briefings, fact sheets, talking points, and other materials to support health and education work and combat stigma; work closely with other teams to ensure that language and tone are consistent and material is accurate and persuasive.
- Conduct press outreach and pitch journalists and digital content partners to proactively and creatively promote Planned Parenthood, its health and education initiatives, and its positions; respond to inquiries from reporters and content producers.
- Identify journalists and content platforms to connect more deeply with Planned Parenthood, and build relationships with key journalists and content producers at a range of outlets.
- Work closely with communications colleagues to shape media coverage on health care and education work and innovation.
- Coordinate with coalition partners and other allies to implement shared media and digital communications goals.
- Produce or assist with media-related events and trainings; complete other special projects as needed.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- BA degree preferred, with related college courses or professional training a plus.
- 3-5 years of work experience, with at least one year experience working directly with members of traditional and digital media preferred.
- Knowledge of sexual and reproductive health, rights, and justice issues, with a deep commitment to the mission of Planned Parenthood.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with attention to detail; must write and edit proficiently and quickly.
- Proven knowledge of media trends, with strong sense of how to generate favorable traction in the media.
- Experience communicating with diverse identities and working with a multicultural workforce with sensitivity and an appreciation of cultural differences.
- Candidates must submit a cover letter to be considered.
PERSONAL QUALITIES / OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Energetic and creative approach to work, with the demonstrated ability to develop solutions and bring them to life.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in engaging colleagues across divisions, functions, and geography, a team player with the ability to gain buy-in from multiple parties in a collaborative environment.
- Highly organized and motivated, with the ability to juggle multiple projects and deadlines successfully in a fast-paced environment.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.