Specialist, Advocacy Research
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Organizing, Engagement & Campaigns
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks an Advocacy Research Specialist. Reporting to the Advocacy Research Manager, the incumbent will support a new program studying anti-sexual and reproductive health (anti-SRH) disinformation, both online and offline. On behalf of PPFA (c3), Planned Parenthood Votes (super PAC), and the Action Fund (c4), this role will work across departments and with Planned Parenthood affiliates and advocacy and political organizations to help understand the larger disinformation and extremism landscape and categorize and help respond to instances of anti-abortion disinformation.
This position is set to end on 12/31/2020
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitor trends in the anti-abortion and anti-SRH movements for regular reports.
- Develop research books/documents on known anti-abortion actors to share with relevant staff across the organization, including the Communications and Culture and Digital Content and Campaigns departments.
- Work with others across the Federation and within Planned Parenthood advocacy and political organizations to investigate strands of disinformation that impact work on the ground, including in field work and Planned Parenthood health centers.
- Document successes of the program to share with internal and external stakeholders, including donors.
- Track in real time what political opposition, including candidates and political action groups, is saying on issues related to sexual and reproductive health.
- 1 - 3 years professional experience (including internships).
- Some understanding of the wider media ecosystem, including at least some knowledge of the spread of disinformation on social media platforms.
- Knowledge of the political landscape, especially as it relates to the 2020 election (both presidential and down-ballot races).
- Research experience (academic and/or professional).
PERSONAL QUALITIES/OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Excellent organizational skills.
- A willingness to work on big projects with many stakeholders and navigate competing priorities.
- A never-ending desire to learn.
- Flexibility to learn and adapt quickly.
- Commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Planned Parenthood.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.