Vice President & Executive Director of Planned Parenthood Global
Operations – Global Administration
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION: SRI Executive has been retained by Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) to conduct a search for a suitably qualified individual to undertake the position of Executive Director & Vice President of Planned Parenthood (PP) Global.
The link to the posting on SRI website is: http://www.sri-executive.com/offer/?id=8337
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood (PP) Global, the international arm of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, seeks its next leader to build upon a 45 year legacy of working with global and local organizations to advocate for the reduction of reproductive health disparities around the world. PP Global works with local organizations in 12 countries (6 in Africa and 6 in Latin America) through the generous support of private funders.
PP Global began implementation of its current strategic plan in 2016. Since that time, PP Global’s partner organizations have reached 3.3 million service delivery clients (for contraception, general sexual and reproductive health care, and abortion care). Half of those served are adolescents and youth.
Currently, PP Global comprises more than 80 staff largely based in East Africa and Latin America. The current budget is approximately $20 million supported primarily by key private funders. The Vice President is guided by the PP Global Advisory Board, made of more than 35 members and an executive board that meets regularly. In their first year, the candidate will need to work with a broad group of stakeholders, including the PPFA senior leadership team, volunteers on the global advisory board, and funders to design a go forward program strategy and plan beyond 2021.
The Vice President for PP Global will report directly to the Office of the President on all strategic planning and program related activities and to the Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer on all administrative and operational matters. The Vice President will preferably be based in New York City or Washington DC. In this role the Vice President will work with PPFA senior leadership to evaluate these goals and further develop PP Global’s strategic objectives, building upon the unique role it can play and the capabilities it can bring in health care, education, and advocacy. The Vice President will also work with PPFA senior leadership to ensure that the program is optimally positioned to achieve the greatest impact in the area of Sexual Reproductive Health with a particular focus on youth. The Vice President serves as a member of the President’s Senior Leadership Team and will also work closely across divisions to advance Planned Parenthood’s mission to provide, protect, and expand reproductive health care, education, and advocacy in the U.S. and worldwide.
The Vice President will serve as PPFA’s primary liaison to the International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF) based in London and with regional governance responsibilities in the Western Hemisphere. The candidate will support the coordination among IPPF member associations with international programs.
PP Global’s current goals are to in:
Healthcare: grow the number of partner organizations that provide contraception and safe abortion care; adopt current “best practices;” enhance culture change/social norms with a special focus on young people; and shift more resources to advocacy and social norms change to create sustainable driver of public sector services.
Advocacy and Education: Support partners in pushing for better policies that expand reproductive health services, especially for youth and vulnerable women; build political will through more NGO’s, coalitions and champions engaging in advocacy to support women’s access to reproductive health services; Create higher demand for services through cutting-edge paid and earned media campaigns that raise public awareness and inform women of their rights to reproductive health services, and grow and sustained government funding for reproductive health.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the delivery of PP Global’s existing program commitments with local organizations that support SRH service delivery, advocacy for SRH rights, and education to shift social norms around SRH issues.
- Work closely with the President and the PPFA senior leadership team to develop the future strategic vision, goals, and plans for PP Global to achieve the greatest impact in achieving reductions of reproductive health disparities. These plans should focus on using advocacy and educational platforms, and should have a particular focus on engaging youth.
- Continue to build international and local partnerships with organizations that advocate for and deliver SRH services, and that address stigma of SRH services .
- Position Planned Parenthood as a key leader in the international sexual and reproductive healthcare and rights by developing PPG’s broad policy and programmatic direction and representing such to the world.
- Manage a broad range of stakeholder groups including the global advisory board and donors, and cultivate new partnerships.
- Identify opportunities to share and exchange learning with Planned Parenthood affiliates.
- Lead engagement with foundations, government, and individual funders in the U.S. and abroad in partnership with the PPFA Development Division.
- Manage the International Planned Parenthood Federation relationship.
- Partner with the PPFA Communications Division to ensure and enhance visibility, awareness and regard for PP Global’s international work.
- Work with the PPFA Policy, Campaigns, and Advocacy Division to build relationships and partnerships in the US and internationally. Leverage PPFA and PP Global’s assets to advocate for US policies that increase support for global reproductive health and rights, and to link advocacy efforts in the US to advocacy goals and movements of PPFA’s partners overseas.
- Able to evaluate programs and budgets, to work with restricted and unrestricted revenue sources, and to execute a strategy for meeting program goals. Mentor and lead a highly effective team of international professionals, and promote a results-oriented culture that values collaboration, innovation, and continuous learning and improvement.
- Promote an organizational culture that embraces diversity as a core value.
- Serve as a champion for accountability, integrity and transparency, and work with operations staff to support effective business practices.
- Develop and monitor organizational strategy and annual plans to achieve growth, assuring that the division’s goals are met within budget.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Master’s degree in a relevant field and a minimum of 15 years of overall professional experience in leading program design, management and evaluation, ideally including 10+ years of executive management experience, is expected.
- The Vice President’s success requires a high degree of transparency, strong communication ability, flexibility, diplomacy, and the ability to forge innovative collaborations both internally and externally.
- Candidates with a demonstrated track record of delivering the international advocacy or educational initiatives are highly desired. The candidate must have a mindset for leading and managing growth and a demonstrated commitment to innovation and continuous learning.
- Strategic planning, well-developed analytical skills, and a commitment to data-informed decision-making are essential. The Vice President will demonstrate experience in one or more of the fields of sexual and reproductive health, global health, global development or human rights, with a focus on women or youth, with significant experience working or living in the developing world, preferably Africa or Latin America.
- A successful candidate must have a demonstrated record of designing and implementing effective advocacy campaigns in Africa or Latin America. Fluency in French or Spanish would be a plus. The candidate must also understand and have a point of view on capacity building in the countries where we work to achieve impact.
- Experience working with international organizations, and/or government and multilateral funders in the United States or abroad would be ideal.
- A successful candidate must have knowledge and a track record of fundraising from diverse sources for large global program grants, including institutions and individuals. The candidate must also have a history of maintaining strong relationships with donors.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Demonstrate successful leadership, staff management and administrative experience in a complex organization, including significant experience in an international non-profit organization.
- Demonstrate a deep interest in and ability to support the mission of Planned Parenthood, positive and confident leadership that inspires and motivates colleagues, an entrepreneurial spirit that is constantly seeking new opportunities, excellent communication and relationship building skills, ease communicating with a variety of social strata, excellent listening skills, high energy and a strong work ethic, effective presentation capabilities to both intimate and large audiences, grace and humor, and comfort with significant amounts of both overseas and domestic travel.
- The Vice President must place accountability, integrity, and transparency at the forefront of programmatic and organizational activities.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB:
SRI Executive has been retained by Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) to conduct a search for a suitably qualified individual to undertake the position of Executive Director & Vice President of Planned Parenthood (PP) Global. If this position is of interest to you, and you meet the requirements, please forward a copy of your Cover Letter and CV in Microsoft Word on or before May 13th, 2019 to: Ms. Sidney Moss at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference ''8337 – Executive Director & Vice President” in the subject line. Thank you for your interest and we will reply to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application and it is found to be aligned with Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) requirements.
The link to the posting on SRI website is: http://www.sri-executive.com/offer/?id=8337