Product Manager, Partnerships, Innovation & Learning
Federation Engagement and Impact Office (OFE) – Digital Products /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
About the Innovation & Learning team: Planned Parenthood’s new Innovation & Learning program sparks impact-driven innovation across the organization’s health care, education, and advocacy programs by providing tools and expertise. In service of Planned Parenthood’s strategic goals, Innovation & Learning co-designs new solutions with program teams from across the Planned Parenthood federation and partners, tracks learnings, and disseminates best practices. The program offers collaborators a safe space to collaborate with new partners, try their biggest ideas, and celebrate learning from failure.
About this role: The Product Manager, Partnerships will oversee new and existing initiatives, such as Spot On, our period and birth control tracking app, to deliver on Planned Parenthood’s mission with emerging, direct-to-consumer technology. The Product Manager, Partnerships will report to the Senior Director of Innovation & Learning.
- The Product Manager, Partnerships will be successful in their first year if they create an innovative, personalized, direct-to-consumer digital experience on Spot On by (1) creating a roadmap of strategic experiments and enhancements that work towards Spot On’s OKRs, which expand the delivery of Planned Parenthood’s mission and brand; and (2) successfully creating an optimal process for scaling the app using partnerships and collaborations. After their first year, the Product Manager, Partnerships may also apply their skills to other programs in the Innovation & Learning portfolio.
Delivery: The Innovation Lead is responsible for:
- Clear, strategic thought leadership around consumer-facing digital products at Planned Parenthood, with a focus on Spot On and the broader value of innovative partnerships to our impact as an organization
- OKRs for Spot On, or other innovation programs, and oversight of regular and ongoing data analysis to inform product evolution.
- Advancement of the product roadmap for Spot On or other innovation programs.
- Clear written and verbal communication, such as PRDs, functional specs, user stories and reports on Spot On or other innovation programs to relevant internal and external stakeholders
- Leading standard innovation processes (e.g. agile, lean) and upholding team morale with cross-functional internal collaborators including product design, analytics, engineering, and communications (among others) to strategize, execute, improve processes, and identify opportunities.
- Management of marketing campaign strategy in partnership with Planned Parenthood’s Brand team for Spot On or other innovation programs. Marketing may include English, Spanish, and/or Spanglish, spanning paid, owned, earned, and partnership opportunities.
- Defining product feature bundles and marketing awareness campaigns with potential partners to develop compelling bundled offerings that address the felt needs of our new and existing target users.
- A new partnership process for Planned Parenthood programs (including Spot On) that our teams can leverage and collaborate with external partners toward specific business or mission goals.
- Guide and influence PPFA, affiliate, and partner teams through processes and decisions (including difficult conversations), without significant managerial oversight.
- Through written and verbal communication (including public speaking), share learnings and best practices with the Federation, partner organizations (or prospective partners), and occasionally the public.
- Build relationships with internal collaborators, knowing the needs and communication styles for these relationships will change over time as programs move through stages of innovation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
- Required professional experience:
- 5+ years agile product management experience developing consumer-facing digital products, including experience as product owner or lead on a consumer-facing digital product via agile
- 3+ years experience launching digital product features and/or product marketing campaigns with external partners.
- Demonstrable achievements defining, bringing to market, and scaling top-notch digital products.
- Strong knowledge of digital user experience and user research practices.
- Experience with data- and research-driven strategic decision making, including mastery of digital product performance data, qualitative research, and market data.
- Experience communicating in varying mediums and to varying audiences in order to synthesize research and evangelize recommendations. Past comms might include some combination of pitch decks and talks, reports, or blog posts.
- Awareness and understanding of the latest technology and innovation trends, and ability to provide thought leadership across the organization’s digital efforts and priorities.
- Optimistic outlook on innovation, holding the belief that together we can solve big problems.
- Bias for action and comfort trying new things.
- Resiliency. Ability to bounce back, learn, and pivot after failure or discomfort.
- Comfort with ambiguity.
- Great communicator; using verbal, written, and visual tools to openly collaborate and grow the interpersonal relationships that create a fluid work culture across different levels of stakeholders. Comfort with frequent proactive outreach and relationship-building.
- Empathetic with a collaborative attitude across teams and skill sets.
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of applying social justice and equity principles to work products.
- High level of self-direction, showing the ability to work between both proactive and reactive work streams with grace.
- Champion for our constituents and a passion for designing for social impact.
- Systems thinker with one eye always on improving the larger picture through efficient research solutions that responsively adapt to platforms, users, and situations.
- Ability to approach work from a trauma informed perspective.
- Strong analytical ability: You can take a complex problem, synthesize detailed information from multiple sources, and construct a nuanced top-line recommendations on the path forward, even when the question at hand is a difficult one
- Enjoys organizational change management.
- Fluency in Spanish or additional languages.
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working within a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences.
- Established network of contacts in the health care and/or social justice space.
Nice to have:
Minimum Salary: 95k
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer
If denoted as NYC, DC, or both, this position is usually located in our in our New York City or DC office, but is remote while offices remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.