Associate Director, State Policy & Advocacy
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – State Policy
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) Government Affairs division seeks a dynamic and effective Associate Director of State Policy & Advocacy. Reporting to the National Director of State Policy, the Associate Director of State Policy will drive the day-to-day work to impact the ever-changing state legislative landscape, provide organizational leadership for the State Fight Team, and drive strategic programming to support PPFA’s goals. The Government Relations team develops and implements national and state strategies for improved public policy, including federal lobbying, federal administrative advocacy, state public policy initiatives, and support for affiliates.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the National Director of State Policy and Advocacy in managing PPFA’s efforts surrounding state policy and advocacy strategies and serve as a national resource to PPFA affiliates on implementing state level policy and advocacy goals.
- Facilitate program management of key initiatives as directed by National Director of State Policy and Advocacy.
- Responsible for ensuring the continued integration and coordination of Field, GR, Communications, Litigation/Law, and HSS departments in responding to state policy developments, in particular amongst the state GR Policy Analysts, Regional Campaign Directors, Assistant Director of State Policy and Legislative Media, and Lit/Law Policy Analysts.
- Provide strategic guidance and planning, legislative information and training to CEOs and affiliate public affairs staff to assist in their response to ongoing state policy matters and to develop or further reinforce their public affairs capacity.
- Provide support and guidance to the State Public Affairs Network in an effort to reach a broad affiliate audience and foster an environment to share best practices and other relevant state work.
- Serve as a resource and review all PPFA public materials/messaging related to state policy and advocacy efforts to ensure accuracy and strategic overlay.
- Oversee the development of state policy materials and resources.
- Supervise a team of three staff (State Policy Team) who are responsible for supporting the execution of PPFA’s state policy goals, monitoring state policy and producing analysis and reports of policy trends for PPFA and affiliates.
- Play a leadership role in engaging key national partners executing state work in order to share PPFA’s priorities and to work in strategic partnership with our national counterparts.
- Serve as liaison to national partners representing state elected officials and represent PPFA and our positions through collaboration and convenings.
- Partner with the Government Relations team to develop and support the implementation of a broad public policy vision.
- Execute key strategic programs to achieve the Federation’s goals on abortion equity, including convening and engaging key staff in Operations, Litigation, Policy, Technology, and Development.
- Contribute to efforts to diversify coalitions, deepen understanding of reproductive justice and advance PPFA’s advocacy goals of reaching diverse communities through deep engagement on PPFA’s race equity initiative and cross-movement work.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 7-8 years relevant experience.
- Experience in women’s health or reproductive health a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to both “get in the weeds” and see the larger picture.
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Passion for health care and PPFA’s mission.
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required
This position will be based in Washington, DC or New York, NY
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.