2020 Summer Intern-Information Security, Operations Analyst
New York, NY
Operations – Information Security
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The application window closes on January 26, 2020.
Planned Parenthood believes everyone should have access to the information and services they need to make informed, empowered decisions about their health. To accomplish this, we’re growing our (already) great teams to make them even greater. The greater you are, the greater we become, the greater the things we can accomplish together. The Information Technology group is working hard to make this happen, and we need dedicated, smart individuals to help us do it. Our goal is to enable teams across the national and affiliate levels do great things by providing best in breed shared services, federation-wide. So come help us care, no matter what.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a 2020 Summer Intern to assist in the Information Security Operations department. As an intern with the Information Security Operations team, you will be mentored by an Information Security Operations Leader or a Sr. Security Analyst, and you will be introduce to security monitoring, detection, and response to security alerts, incidents, and potential security attacks or other threats. You will learn about modern threat actor tactics, techniques and procedures and how to conduct security analysis
The program runs from June 1st 2020 to August 14th 2020.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Detect and respond to security alerts and reports.
- Conduct analysis and trending from system logs, alerts, and data from security tools.
- Respond to security tickets based on their priority & triage high priority tickets accordingly. Provide customer communications relating to security alerts, events & tickets.
- Assist with incident response, gathering and preserving relevant data. Investigate, document, and report on information security issues, emerging trends, and incidents. Escalate appropriately as required.
- Recommend countermeasures and other vulnerability remediation techniques.
- Author and implement detection rules for various security monitoring systems based on current threats, vulnerabilities, or other specific events.
- Integrate and share information with other analysts and security teams for situational awareness and to collaborate on threat intelligence.
- Participate in security risk and vulnerability assessments.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Degree or certificate in cyber security, information security, information systems, computer science, or other technical fields is a plus.
- Interest in security operations, security analysis, incident response, threat hunting, forensics or other security detect or response role.
- Interest or experience with various security methodologies, processes, and technical security solutions such as email gateway, endpoint protection, firewalls, intrusion detection systems, security information and event management, or network threat intelligence, is a plus.
- Knowledge of SQL and regular expressions, is a plus. Interest in correlating unstructured data across a variety of log types and event feeds.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- A strong commitment and understanding of the mission of Planned Parenthood and a passion for sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Embody PPFA's organization tagline – “Care. No matter what.” as it applies to how we treat our patients, our affiliates, and our co-workers.
- Customer focused.
To be considered for this internship you must attach a current resume, cover letter stating your interest.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.