New York, NY
Operations – Finance
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Senior Accountant. The incumbent will perform detailed review and preparation of ghost card payment transactions related to company travel and employee expenses. Interacts with all levels of PPFA staﬀ and management and ensures that the day-to-day as well as special projects are completed in an accurate, timely, customer-friendly, and professional manner. Helps ensure adherence to accounting controls and proposes changes to them to the Controller where deemed appropriate.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Comprehensive knowledge of all systems used by the Finance Division, including but not limited to Sage X3, Sage Enterprise Intelligence (reporting), Bank of America CashPro and banking payment systems (ACH), and any new system implemented by the organization. Ensures the effective and efficient use of such systems and participates in analyzing, designing, and implementing systems and process improvements.
- Demonstrates strong not-for-profit and other U.S. GAAP accounting knowledge and experience to apply in the preparation of quarterly financial statements. Must be able to prepare or review journal entries and complex underlying supporting schedules and documents with ability to explain such analysis to non-financial staff.
- Prepares daily cash reports for deposits and payments for all bank accounts to provide Finance leadership with accurate balances for monitoring cash flow.
- Serves as a backup for Accounts Payable (AP) Accountants in the preparation of checks, wires, and ACH payments.
- Provides high level/non-reporting supervision and oversight of AP staff to verify accuracy of expense coding and General Ledger dates. Executes month-end closings and posts AP Batches for all PPFA entities to the General Ledger.
- Responsible for monthly and year-end reconciliations of various accounts payable/liabilities accounts. Analyzes accounts payable data and produces reports from the general ledger system.
- Authorizes accounts payable entries for payments to vendors. Obtains a listing of open items and approves selected items to be paid on a weekly basis. Reviews check registers after checks have been processed. Reviews and approves cash disbursement sheet.
- Enters and posts entries to the General Ledger.
- Reviews AP open items to ensure that all open payables are paid on a timely basis.
- Prepares and analyzes various year-end reports for Finance staff in connection with 990 filing.
- Prepares, analyzes, and files annual 1099 and 1042 payment reports with IRS and various states to ensure compliance with government reporting requirements.
- Assists with year-end audit by providing information at auditor’s request.
- Documents all policies and procedures followed in the performance of the job to create and maintain Accounting Manual on a current basis. Follow all procedures as listed in the manual; recommend changes and updates for consideration and approval by Accounting Manager and Controller.
- Works with PP Global team to review and process monthly accounting reports for their regional offices. Performs account reconciliations between Sage and regional office ledgers.
- Provides assistance to PP Global team during audit of regional offices, obtains final trial balance and financial statements and reconciles the information to Sage.
- Provides general accounting services to PP Global, and other offices as needed.
- Coordinates with Accounting staff as well as departmental staff in the reissuance of stale vendor checks.
- Performs analysis of outstanding payments and follows up with vendors for filings of unclaimed property.
- Coordinates with Accounting staff to ensure accurate processing of fixed assets, bank reconciliations, and reclasses.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting required.
- 3-5 years of accounting experience is required.
- Advanced skills in Excel, Word and PowerPoint required.
- Auditing and/or non-profit experience is desirable.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Great attention to details required.
- Great interpersonal skills, excellent work ethics.
- Able to convey accounting information in easy to understand terms.
- Demonstrated skills in problem resolution.
- Must be able to work independently and manage multiple priorities at once.
- Excellent customer service required.
- Work well in a multi-cultural environment and is sensitive to diversity.
- Must be a team player helping the department achieve all major projects
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.