2020 Summer Intern-Healthcare Operations
New York, NY
Health Care – Health Care Operations
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The application window closes on January 26, 2020.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a 2020 Summer Intern to assist in the Healthcare Operations department team, known as the Business Operations Team (BOT). BOT offers a variety of analytical tools and subject matter expertise to health centers and leadership across the country, from improving scheduling practices and online appointment scheduling, revenue cycle expertise, improvement of clinical quality metrics, operational efficiency consulting, and a wide variety of financial and accounting consulting/support. The department plays a critical role in supporting Planned Parenthood affiliates as they provide care across the country and promoting health equity at the national level.
The Intern, Healthcare Operations will develop their skills while gaining hands-on experience in various aspects of sexual and reproductive health care as well as working in an business office environment. The selected candidate should demonstrate a strong interest in the administrative aspects of healthcare organizations, as well as how to improve operational and financial health.
The intern will report to the department’s Associate Director of Business Analytics the intern will play an important role in supporting various BOT projects, which may involve patient services data analysis, financial analysis, administrative tasks, and more.
The program runs from June 1st 2020 to August 14th 2020.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with maintenance of Google Sheet-based dashboards, intended to drive better understanding of patient access and center demand.
- Interface with health center managers via email, phone, and webinar to ensure correct completion of data entry, provide corrective support if data errors appear.
- Lead the building of creative and engaging training manual for dashboards.
- Provide additional support on the dashboard program (and other projects), as time allows.
- Pull data reports and create summaries of both patient services and financial data, supporting ad hoc data requests for colleagues across the Federation.
- Assist with administrative work, including management and QAing of various trackers and communication listservs.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Candidates should be a current associate, undergraduate, or graduate student or should have completed studies within the last six months - MHA or undergraduate business / medical degree preferred but not required.
- Interest in building and improving analytical tools - strong skills in one or more highly preferred; Excel, Tableau, Google Sheets, also Powerpoint as necessary.
- Interest in learning about health care administration.
- Be able to work in a fast-paced environment, have an eagerness to learn along with a dependable work ethic.
- Possess strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills, particularly considering 80%+ of the BOT Team is not based in the NYC office.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- A strong commitment and understanding of the mission of Planned Parenthood and a passion for sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Embody PPFA's organization tagline – “Care. No matter what.” as it applies to how we treat our patients, our affiliates, and our co-workers.
- Interested in experience design (for patient and employee experience) – to develop new concepts and new designs and learn existing healthcare industry best practices.
- Interested in data analytics. Interpreting the data that we’re collecting for overall initiative – number crunching, data analysis support, success metrics for the initiative.
- Customer focused.
To be considered for this internship you must attach a current resume, cover letter stating your interest.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.