Project Specialist, Public Health and Strategic Operations
New York, NY /
Office of the Executive Vice President, Health Care (HCD) – Health Outcomes Improvement /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund seek an ambitious and highly-organized Project Specialist for the Public Health & Strategic Operations Division (PHSO) of PPFA. This job reports to the Director of Administration in PHSO. The PHSO division has four core functions: improve health outcomes and reduce health inequities; prepare the organization for emergencies ranging from natural disasters to legal restrictions in service provision; facilitate the use of research and evaluation to improve service delivery and advance the sexual and reproductive health field and build National Office capacity to monitor the progress and outcomes of our work; and to enable data-driven decision-making through the use of high-quality data and tools.
Purpose : The Project Specialist will provide approximately 50% support to the Administrative team and 50% support to the four teams in PHSO, conducting project-based work.
- Administrative support:
- Supports VP and Director of Administration at a high level by:
- Preparing materials and relevant documentation in advance of meetings.
- Documenting meeting notes and action items.
- Drafting and editing project-specific materials in support of initiatives lead by VP and Dir of Administration
- Providing regular updates on current projects by gathering information from project leaders, prompting them for any necessary actions and documenting progress.
- Assisting in review of, and providing feedback on the quality of assignments completed by departments to ensure they meet the expectations of the VP.
- Assisting in the preparation of updates for leadership teams and other stakeholders
- Manages internal and external communications and provides appropriate direction and follow-up to internal and external parties.
- Manages newsletter content for various communications across the organization on behalf of PHSO. This involves liaising with department leads and drafting communications to capture work that will be shared across the federation, adhering to timelines set by National Office staff.
- Onboards new staff using guidance provided by HR and tools developed with Director of Administration. Updates tools as needed for each position and provides recommendations for improved processes.
- Leads activities to increase employee engagement, specifically around professional development and team connectedness.
- Keeps PHSO departmental resources current including one-pagers, powerpoint presentations, org chart, and handouts. Will require regularly connecting with department leads and updating current and planned work, goals and objectives within these resources.
- Works with department leads on developing external presentations and meetings
- Tracks the progress and execution of Strategic Goals and assists in the preparation of quarterly reports.
- Project support for departments:
- Supports initiatives and workstreams owned by members of the PHSO Team (such as Affiliate Research, Equity, COVID Response, Telehealth Rollout, Emergency Preparedness & Response).
- Documents meeting notes and action items.
- Supports the tracking and execution of project-specific deliverables by drafting and editing project-specific documents, such as overall workplans, charters, and gantt charts.
- Prepares materials and relevant documents in advance of meetings.
- Manages project-specific logistical needs for meeting and events, and supports overall organization of these events. This may require travel to meetings to provide on-site support.
- Conducts project-specific research to support project needs.
- Coordinates with team members from across PHSO, as well as divisions within the organization, on projects owned outside of PHSO.
- Provides Request for Proposal process support.
- Adhoc projects as they arise (20%)
- This position should demonstrate intercultural competence and ensure all work products consider the impacts of the work on multiple communities, including communities of color and individuals with different gender identities and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- This position will work on several cross-divisional projects and will build key relationships across the National Office to be successful. S/he will be required to take direction from different project owners. S/he will also work with some Affiliate staff and outside vendors.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
- 2 to 3 years of experience directly related to project coordination and administrative support.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience and comfort working with remote teams.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Able to handle multiple, concurrent projects and ensure completion of all components with guidance.
- Ability to recognize and respond to problems with potential solutions in a highly professional, confidential and sensitive manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical skills with sharp attention to detail and the ability to meet critical deadlines.
- Collaborative work style; able to facilitate amongst diverse communities and individuals
- High emotional intelligence.
- Self-directed and can work alone or in a team.
- Deep appreciation for the mission of PPFA.
- Takes initiative, can operate in a fast-paced environment with competing demands. Ability to be resourceful and willing to try and learn.
- Adaptability, including teamwork and flexibility, needed to fulfill job responsibilities, adapting to changes in work environment and accepting supervisory feedback.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to different racial/ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, and people with different gender identities, cultural differences and disabilities.
- High proficiency in Google products.
- 0-25% of time the job requires travel, international or domestic
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. PPFA does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.