Director, Political & Membership Engagement
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Organizing, Engagement & Campaigns
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Director, Political & Membership Engagement. In this role the candidate reports directly to the National Political Director. The Director will work in close partnership with PPFA/PPAF’s Organizing, Elections, and Campaigns division; Communications and Brand division; Government Relations division; Development division; and Planned Parenthood local c3 and c4 organizations to direct the execution of critical federal fights advocacy, membership, and federal electoral work.
Throughout the year, the Director of Political and Membership Engagement will help direct PPFA and the Action Fund’s federal advocacy campaigns, in close partnership with relevant departments, partners, and local organizations. This role will also be the lead driver of the Action Fund’s expanding FEC-qualified Associate Membership program, working closely with organizing and digital colleagues to acquire, renew, and engage the organization's Associate Members.
During an election cycle, the Director of Political and Membership Engagement will help direct the Action Fund’s coordinated organizing program and work closely with internal and local c4 stakeholders to bring the existing Action Fund Membership program to scale. As a part of this work, the Director will be responsible for engaging with relevant federal candidate campaigns (especially Campaign Managers and Field Directors) and partner organizations and leading large cross-divisional teams to execute on 360 campaigns to advance our electoral and advocacy work.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the development and execution of Planned Parenthood Action Fund’s Associate membership program, in close partnership with the Digital Fundraising and Supporter Engagement and Organizing teams.
- Oversee the Coordinated Organizing program, working in close partnership with the Executive Director, National Political Director, Political Organizing and Engagement Manager, and additional internal stakeholders.
- Own relationships with the Field Directors and Senior Campaign staff during election cycles to set strategy for the Action Fund’s coordinated organizing priorities.
- Work extensively with the Legislative Affairs team to ensure a full cycle of advocacy engagement for federal candidates as they are elected and become legislative champions.
- Lead on large cross-divisional organizing peaks in tandem with the Director of Campaign Strategy and National Organizing Director for Federal Fights work.
- Work on projects and other duties as assigned by the National Political Director.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 5-8 years of experience working in advocacy and/or electoral campaigns and/or organizing efforts.
- 2 cycles of experience working for a federal electoral campaign or electoral program; campaign management or field director experience strongly preferred.
- 3 years of experience leading a diverse team and managing organizing staff; strong preference for not-for-profit management and coalition management experience.
- Proven experience managing multiple complex projects at once and completing work in a timely fashion.
- Proven track record of building political partnerships and managing long-term relationships in the progressive movement.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Passion for the mission of Planned Parenthood, advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights, and centering racial equity.
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to learn and execute quickly.
- Ability to work independently with good judgment.
- Exceptional communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences.
- Willingness to experiment and try new things; curiosity for methods of organizing, using data, and building political power for a long-term, racially equitable movement.
- Ability to motivate teammates and garner buy-in from colleagues across a complex organization.
- Proven success in managing a coalition and/or developing and leveraging local partner relationships.
- Ability to respond to the needs of a fast-paced operation.
- Unflappable in the face of crisis or high-stress situations.
- Self-starter with a high level of creative initiative.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Discretion and diplomacy.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.